Bought one of those AR turntables all the kids are talking about...

jason4300

Got it off of the bay. Been wanting one for a project for a while now. Even in stock form with zero maintenance performed, it sounded really nice. Pics are before and where it currently stands. The oak base I built still needs some sanding/finishing. I have a Kenwood tonearm tube that I'm going to try and use to allow standard headshells to be used. I may also send the arm off to have new pivot bearings installed. It's also in need of new thrust bearings. Any other XA/XB owners here?

IMG_20161230_153029361.jpg

IMG_20170102_141757702.jpg

Cool oak base.

I had an XA in college, and all it did was work perfectly - a great little turntable. The arm really seemed to like cartridges from Shure and Goldring, but Pickering gave it fits.

I've seen all sorts of modifications over the years - there's one on eBay right now with a Magnepan Unitrac arm, and some interesting work on the top plate & base (photo attached).

ar.jpg

Congratulations! I own an XA and love it.  An excellent turntable, particularly when up and running properly. 

If you're not familiar, there are a lot of supporters of the XA/XB tables on Audiokarma, and some very thorough threads if you do a search. There's also a guy named Marc Morin that does fantastic work with these tables and provides expert advice. A great resource to reach out to even if you plan to do any and all restoration/upgrades on your own. 

19 minutes ago, samberger0357 said:

Congratulations! I own an XA and love it.  An excellent turntable, particularly when up and running properly. 

If you're not familiar, there are a lot of supporters of the XA/XB tables on Audiokarma, and some very thorough threads if you do a search. There's also a guy named Marc Morin that does fantastic work with these tables and provides expert advice. A great resource to reach out to even if you plan to do any and all restoration/upgrades on your own. 

Yeah, I've actually been in contact with Marc. I'm hopefully sending my tonearm of to him later in the month.

I have an XA that I bought new in 1969. I gave it up for a while when I bought a "better" but similar 'table--the Harman Kardon T-60. I still use the HK and a few years ago I got the AR back. It had been on loan to a teenage girl in the 80s & 90s. Amazingly, all I had to do was replace the belt and lube it. I bought what I think is the same TT mat you have, Jason--deerskin. I'm using my old Shure V-15 Type III on the AR and a V-15 Type V on the HK. Had considered a Grado for the AR but they can produce hum with the XA motor.

Nice job on the base. I plan to restore my AR "one of these days." Polish up the wood, repaint the metal plinth, maybe replace the capacitor but that's about it. I'm fascinated by all the "mods" that are really entirely new TTs but I'll leave mine stock.

Good luck with the work!

-Kent

One of the carts I use with my XA is a Grado G1+ with an 8MZ stylus. Can't hear any hum. My table was worked on by Marc Morin, who is a big supporter of Grado's on AR''s. I don't know if he does anything to limit hum, but I know plenty of folks who are also using Grado's on their XA's without issue. It certainly can be a good match. 

3 minutes ago, samberger0357 said:

One of the carts I use with my XA is a Grado G1+ with an 8MZ stylus. Can't hear any hum. My table was worked on by Marc Morin, who is a big supporter of Grado's on AR''s. I don't know if he does anything to limit hum, but I know plenty of folks who are also using Grado's on their XA's without issue. It certainly can be a good match. 

Thought there may be some comment ;)

Apparently there were a couple of different motors used on the XA and SOME (most?) were not shielded and can cause hum with Grados. You either have a shielded motor or Mr. Morin did some shielding.

I didn't make this up. I WANTED to use a Grado but had read about hum issues so I contacted Grado and THEY told me not to use their cart with the AR because it would hum unless it had a shielded motor. I was impressed with their candor.

-Kent

Sure I'm not  saying hum doesn't happen. I'm just relaying my experience, and that of others I speak with. 

That said, I also use a Shure and Pickering cart with my XA, and have used other carts successfully as well. Grado ain't the only option out there, and until I used one with my XA I wasn't even a much of a fan. But if you are, it might be worth dropping Marc a line and asking for his input before giving up on them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here's where it's at now. I used a different tonearm tube to allow for easier headshell swapping. Also put a little dampening underneath and in the tonearm tube, as well as worked over all the bearing surfaces. With what I consider to be a mediocre cartridge (Stanton 500ii/Pickering DE stylus), this thing sounds beautiful. I'm sending the arm off to Marc on AK in a few days and I'm actually disappointed I won't be able to listen to it...IMG_20170120_213636.jpgIMG_20170120_214649932.jpg

The vertical bearings on the tonearm are meant to be adjustable. Just snug them up and back off until the tonearm moves freely up and down without side to side slop. (Wobbly azimuth). One time I bought a used one where a PO had put Loctite on those little bearings and ruined the tonearm. 

Archived