Burhoe Acoustics Crimson 4" inch woofers wanted!!

Robby1970

Hi everyone,  I've bought a nice pair Burhoe Acoustics Crimson of Ebay, and there very little info on these speakers on the WWW. The woofers are not original, so i am searching for those 4 inch original woofers sinds.. I even contacted Mr Burhoe himself, and the only info he can give me, is that the 4" inch woofers are Burhoe Acoustic , so the woofers from the Epicure Microtowers is not a good replacement, nor the CTS 4.5 inch, or BOSE 901 serie 1 and 2. So can anyone help me please??

Many thanks!

Greetings Robby

Hi Robby

Those are rare speakers. I don't know what woofer would work but perhaps you could contact Huw Powell at Human Speakers. He's the expert on EPI, Epicure, Burhoe etc.

I also saw a "for sale" on the web that said the offered speakers had been refoamed by Carl's Custom Speakers. Carl is retired now but still a member (and moderator) here so maybe he can give some advice.

Speaking of Carl, if you send him a PM maybe ask him to move this thread to either "Other speakers & Electronics" or maybe "EPI". I think the EPI section would give you more replies than the "For Sale/Wanted" section. Just a thought.

Let us know how you make out.

-Kent

Hi Kent, Mr Burhoe has directed me also to Huw. But i have send him 3 or 4 emails regarding my Crimson woofer "problem" but he never returned my email. It's also a bit harder for me to find these little tiny woofers because i live in Holland. And here in the boring Netherlands, nobody has ever heard of Winslow Burhoe, EPI or Burhoe Acoustics. I've got a pair of EPI 100V speakers from Ebay, iam sure thats the only pair here in Holland. Man, do they sound sweet!! Iam a huge fan of classic american made speakers. AR, EPI.. 

Thanks Kent for your replay and tips! 

Greetings Robby

Could be Human Speakers is closed for the holidays. Maybe try again after the new year. Also try to reach Carl Richards (carlspeak here on CSP). I wonder if a 4" KLH full-range would work.

I visited the Netherlands once. Beautiful place, and it seemed everyone spoke English (a plus for an ignorant mono-lingual American).

cheers,

-Kent

Hi Kent, yes here in holland we all speak english. Its our second language. Other than that, its a boring country. You have Disneyland, beautiful nature, moutains, american cars, yep iam a sucker for classic american cars too :D Do you think a KLH unit will do? Iam going to contact Carl. Thank you so much Kent.

Greetings Robby and you have a wonderfull 2017!!! 

PS this is a picture of my latest score;)

IMAG0059.jpg

Hi Robby

I really don't know if the KLH will work. It was just an idea. I don't know if the physical size is right or whether the various parameters are right.

Are those AR-4x's? Those were my first speakers (bought in 1969).

Ha ha. When we were in Belgium we ate outdoors at a table with other people. Got into a conversation with a Dutch woman who worked in Belgium and she was saying how boring her country was compared to the fun-loving Belgium. I don't know. My wife's people on her mother's side were from Holland (Hannenberg). Her father's people were from Ireland, so she has a good stubborn streak on both sides ;-)

cheers,

Kent

Hi Robby,

This link from Huw's Human Speakers site appears to offer replacement 4" woofers (Item PRO 024) for the Burhoe Crimson.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/o/burhoe.htm

In your most recent post, that looks like a very nice AR-4x - - - please share a few more pics if possible. I'd like to see these cabinets in black with the grilles on. Also (I believe this is correct...), you might be interested to know that Winslow Burhoe was involved with the design of the AR-4 speaker model, which preceded the AR-4x. 

Hey ra.ra. Good find! I had suggested Human Speakers but never bothered to search the site there. Looks like a perfect solution!

And I did not know Burhoe was involved with the AR-4. Cool. He was also at KLH. Here's some more info on him: http://directacoustics.com/?page_id=85

According to our own Tom Tyson, 

He was, I believe, a technician working at AR at the time of the AR-4x, and may have contributed in some way, but the overall design and execution of the AR-4x belonged to Roy Allison. I believe that Burhoe made some significant contributions subsequently at the company he formed, Eipcure Products, and the tweeter he developed (which used a convex-dome diaphram) was excellent.

Hi Rara, thank you for your reply. Yes i have searched Huw's site but the replacement 024 is 4.5 inch, and the woofer inside the Crimson's is 4 inch. I will contact Huw, and ask if this is the right replacement for me. I have email with Mr Burhoe and he says that the Crimson woofer is made by Burhoe Acoustic. He also mentioned that he worked on the wonderful AR 4 and that made while working at Epicure he was trying to made the AR 4 better. And there was the Epi 100. 

But my pride and joy are the beautiful american classic's, AR3a's!! 

And the former owner did a wonderful job refoaming this woofer... :angry:

IMAG0040.jpg

Archived