KLH Model 17 refinish w/pics

heem6

I got this set of 17's a little while back and refinished the cabs. The linen is in surprisingly good shape and they both had badges. I've started a recap, but it's on hold during the holidays. IIRC, I paid $40 for the pair. Here's a couple before and after pictures. 

gc3iqZJ.jpg

stYjFI5.jpg

The 17 is just a great vintage speaker.  Those look very good and it is great to know another pair will live on correctly.

If I worked in an office (the type in a business building with other people etc) the 17 is probably what I would have in it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, your 17's turned out great! Did you do anything with the crossovers?

I did just enough sanding to get back to bare wood, rubbed off the stray wood dust with rubbing alcohol and then gave them a coat or two of Howard's Orange Oil.

They had red paint all over them and a lot of scratches and misc gouges. I'll see if I can locate the "before" pics and upload them. l ended up using chemical stripper, sanded with 200 grit with the grain, and then filled the few gouges that I couldn't sand out. I used the stripper wash to get the chemical off. I then masked the sides and painted the front and back panels with a tan rustoleum. I then did a single coat of Danish Oil in Dark Walnut. Nothing else on the cabs. Getting the paint off was the most labor intensive because it was all over.

I recovered the grills with a greenish burlap from Wally World for $2.97 sq yard. (Only used half of the sq yard). I had to order new badges from Kent because they didn't have any - not shown in the pics because they came after I took the them (Thanks Kent!)

Inside I replaced the caps with Daytons and I added an inductor to the woofer to give it a second order low pass. (The addition of the inductor was the only difference between the KLH 17 and the KLH 6 cross-over. 

I can get details for colors, part numbers etc if anyone is interested. These ended up going to my son and daughter in law. They'll have something nice to hold on to.

Archived