AR 4xa tweeter replacement

Mike-k

I'm wondering if anyone can make a suggestion for replacement tweeters for my AR 4-xa's.  one of the tweeters is beyond repair and am having a hard time paying $50 for a used one, thinking the hair like wires would break (like mine did) down the road. I have already replaced the Caps ( Clarity FX10 uF )  and new level controls (from Vintage AR). Im looking for something that will work with what I have, and am at the point that if need be, I will make cabinet modifications, but would prefer not to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks, Mike  

Hi Mike-k, and welcome to the AR collectors club. Those exposed tinsel wires drive me crazy sometimes - - damaged ones can sometimes be repaired, but your post confirms this one as DOA. There are several iterations of the 1-1/4" tweeter including rear-wired versions, and my suggestion would be to locate an AR tweeter from this family of similar drivers. 

I suspect your tweeters look identical to these from a pair of AR-7's?

AR-7 tweeters.jpg

Hello ra.ra and thanks for the reply.  Yes those are the same as mine. Ive been looking for a long time on ebay and see two up for sale at Vintage AR for $50 a piece  They both have dented cones, but it says it doesn't effect the sound ? So your suggestion is hang tight and look for another used original, instead of looking for new replacements. I definitely would like to keep it stock.

Thanks, MikeIMG_0822.JPGIMG_0823.JPG 

Welcome Mike

Dented cones are not a problem but can be fixed for appearance.

I replaced some 4-xa tweets with phenolic ring tweeters. Not ideal but OK. Best bet is to follow ra..ra's recommendation and get 4-xa or 7 tweets.

-Kent

You guys a right about looking for an original tweeter,,,I need to have patients, and Im having a hard time paying the 50 plus dollars for one. I just looked at the sales receipt for these speakers ,  March 3rd of 1978,  I paid  $157.04  with tax (.I think I should have gotten a better deal) These were demo's that they wanted to get rid of, and that was a lot of money for me to spend at the time!! 

Well I have my pine 2-ax's to listen to while I'm looking ~~~ I'll be asking questions about those later.

Cheers ! 

M-k, 50 bucks for this tweeter would be too rich for my blood also, so just take your time and shop for an affordable replacement - - - they are available. The AR-7 and AR-8 also used a very similar (if not identical) tweeter, and some later models (AR-17, 18, 93, 94, etc.) had 1-1/4" tweeters (rear-wired) which might work fine, too. The 4xa is a very good speaker and not very difficult to restore, so a little bit of patience will pay off.

ra-ra I was wondering about the rear wired ones?, they look to be plentiful compared to the front wired. My questions are, would I need to be concerned about the cross-over  or frequency response differences, I just put in new Caps (10 uF) and would prefer not having to change them. Also if I were to use, say, a tweet from an AR18    would it be acceptable to just replace the one, and not have a matching pair?

Gianfilippo,  you wrote that he had yours repaired ? Im wondering what was done to it ? I have not seen a service that offers to rebuild   theses tweets. I would like to see a picture of the one you had redone.

Regards, Mike

Mike,

Most of the rear-wired ones have slightly larger magnets, and are more sensitive. They often require enlarging the cabinet hole, but will work satisfactorily through the use of the speakers' level controls. Given the differences, they should be used in pairs for best results.

Roy

Glad to see Roy's comments here, and yes, despite the small differences between the various 1-1/4" tweeters, having the tweeter control allows for some degree of interchangeability. These earlier threads attached here have much helpful info on the 4xa, and the third one includes a project of mine converting the 4x to a 4xa by using a rear-wired tweeter from the AR-18B and a 10uF cap. 

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/6172-restoring-ar-4xa-not-4x/

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/8768-yet-another-twist-ar-4x-to-ar-4xa-conversion/

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/7431-ar-4-series-speakers/&page=4

Why couldn't you use a set of AR 18 tweeters like this and solder small front leads on and black tape to look original.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AR18-Tweeter-Pair-Speaker-Badges-/322356534107?hash=item4b0df25b5b:g:UroAAOSwA3dYTY-G

You could probably get something for the extra badges.

2 hours ago, Mike-k said:

Gianfilippo,  you wrote that he had yours repaired ? Im wondering what was done to it ? I have not seen a service that offers to rebuild   theses tweets. I would like to see a picture of the one you had redone.

Hi Mike-k the second is the tweetter repaired. In Italy there are two three very valid laboratories that replace or repair bobbin/coil

AR4XA_Twetter_sano.jpg

AR4XA_Twetter_riparato.jpg

I had found a pair of 4x at the thrift last year.

The tweets were both toast.

I replaced them with the phenolic ring drivers, Part # 270-252 from Parts Express.

Other than being a little brighter than I remembered the 4x being, they sounded really nice for $20 or so each.

They are rear wired, so a little re-wiring is required.

Hi LouB. There are a few versions of that phenolic ring tweeter, and in the absence of an original AR tweet, the PRT can be a reasonable drop-in replacement driver in the AR-4x cabinet. In fact, one of the moderators of this site, Carl, has done extensive testing on this exact topic. However, the diameter and screw pattern on that tweeter are not a drop-in fit with the AR-4xa cabinet which was fabricated to accommodate the smaller diameter tweeter shown in this thread. As far as the new PRT being a bit brighter than the 50 year-old AR original, yep, that has been the general consensus and yet another good reason to want to maintain the tweeter controls in case its output needs to be dialed down a little bit.  

On 12/17/2016 at 5:42 PM, Mike-k said:

I'm wondering if anyone can make a suggestion for replacement tweeters for my AR 4-xa's.  one of the tweeters is beyond repair and am having a hard time paying $50 for a used one, thinking the hair like wires would break (like mine did) down the road. I have already replaced the Caps ( Clarity FX10 uF )  and new level controls (from Vintage AR). Im looking for something that will work with what I have, and am at the point that if need be, I will make cabinet modifications, but would prefer not to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks, Mike  

Mike,

If the original sound is the goal, a crossover adjustment is needed when using the Parts Express tweeter. This is especially true for models using the smaller tweeter, like the AR-6, 7,and, 4xa.

I just checked my parts stash, and found two later back-wired versions of your tweeter. These are in nice shape and are available. What is the diameter of the tweeter holes in your cabinets?

Roy

Hello Roy,

I just measured the opening, It looks to be 2 1/2'' or ever so slightly smaller. The screw holes (going across the opening) are 3''     And yes, my goal is to get these back to there original sound. Since 1978 I've played a lot of Vinyl, cassettes...through these speakers, and have always been impressed how accurate they sounded. If what you have fits in mine, and i wouldn't have to change anything over, I would be very interested.

I would also like to thank All who replied to my post thus far, this is a great sight ! And friendly people.  I now see Im far from being the only one that's gone "Tweeting" down this path.

Mike     

Mike,

The tweeters I have are parted out of an early and later AR-93 (1980 and 1981). One has a black faceplate and the other has a silver faceplate, and the magnets are 2 7/16" in diameter. Being back-wired, the distance between the 2 terminals (which are on opposite sides of the tweeter) is 2 9/16". The screw holes are 3", like yours.

Roy

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2016 at 9:30 PM, RoyC said:

Mike,

The tweeters I have are parted out of an early and later AR-93 (1980 and 1981). One has a black faceplate and the other has a silver faceplate, and the magnets are 2 7/16" in diameter. Being back-wired, the distance between the 2 terminals (which are on opposite sides of the tweeter) is 2 9/16". The screw holes are 3", like yours.

Roy

Hi Roy

Just wanted to let you know I sent an email to you about the tweeters you have on 12/21/16  and thinking it might have gone into you junk mail ?

I've been looking on ebay and put an ad on craigslist wtb tweeter` and yes as i thought , its like trying to find a needle in a hay stack... but ,this morning i received a text from a gentleman who wants to sell his AR 18s speakers. He asked me to make an offer and I explained (nicely) to him that he could probably get more for them than I would offer...and then I offered him $50.  he said he would like to get $75 but would think about it.. I dont know much about these other than they are a few years newer than mine. They look to be in very good condition. This is the pic he sent. Any thoughts?Resized_yimg-225332531-9002-1249650832.JPGResized_yimg-225332531-9002-1249650832.JPG

Hi Mike,

Those tweeters look the same as the ones I have. The faceplates didn't vary, only the magnet size...and the front-wired vs back-wired arrangements.

I just checked old emails and forum personal messages, and didn't see anything from you. Send me a personal message through this forum to make sure you have the correct address.

Roy

Hi Mike-k,

You should be able to locate two AR replacement tweeters, and hopefully Roy will be able to help you out.

On those AR-18s speakers you've shown, I just want to point out that the woofers might not be authentic. Typically, the woofer cones do not have the ribbed pleats, and they also should have the single-piece black plastic retainer ring around the woofer circumference (see pics attached). Otherwise they look good, but proceed with caution.

AR-18s.jpg

Thanks for the heads up and the pictures on the Woofers ra.ra I was wondering about them, as I did a google and didnt find any of them with ribbing. I just got a text from the seller saying he would sell the pair for $50.  Im wondering about the tweeters for my AR 4xa's  could anyone tell me if these would work without having to change my new 10uf caps ?

Not sure about the cap value for those tweeters in a 4ax crossover. The 18S crossover uses a single 5 uf cap with the woofers running wide open. Those are some really good sounding tweeters. I agree with ra ra that the woofers are most likely not correct for the 18s speakers.

2 hours ago, Mike-k said:

Thanks for the heads up and the pictures on the Woofers ra.ra I was wondering about them, as I did a google and didnt find any of them with ribbing. I just got a text from the seller saying he would sell the pair for $50.  Im wondering about the tweeters for my AR 4xa's  could anyone tell me if these would work without having to change my new 10uf caps ?

There will be a greater response in the mid frequencies with the later tweeters, which would require a reduction in the capacitor value if you find it unacceptable. On the other hand, the original front-wired version of the tweeter is hard to come by in decent shape, and $50 is a good price for a pair of the later ones.

Roy

On 1/8/2017 at 6:59 PM, Mike-k said:

Hi Roy

Just wanted to let you know I sent an email to you about the tweeters you have on 12/21/16  and thinking it might have gone into you junk mail ?

I've been looking on ebay and put an ad on craigslist wtb tweeter` and yes as i thought , its like trying to find a needle in a hay stack... but ,this morning i received a text from a gentleman who wants to sell his AR 18s speakers. He asked me to make an offer and I explained (nicely) to him that he could probably get more for them than I would offer...and then I offered him $50.  he said he would like to get $75 but would think about it.. I dont know much about these other than they are a few years newer than mine. They look to be in very good condition. This is the pic he sent. Any thoughts?Resized_yimg-225332531-9002-1249650832.JPGResized_yimg-225332531-9002-1249650832.JPG

woofers aren't original, and the 18S's aren't real wood veneer, but vinyl.  $50 seems fair to me w/o the original woofers.

• 4 weeks later...

Update :  I did purchase the 18S speakers, then bought 5 Uf caps along with new level controls...put them back together and gave them a coat of Watco rejuvenating oil ( couldn't believe how much they soaked it up)... And now, they sound and look VERY nice. 

My last question is what would be the best product out there  to preserve the cloth surrounds? I also have some 2ax's that look like they could use it .

Thanks again for all the replies, it definitely helped in many ways.

So, now i need to stop going on craigslist,~ because I just bought a pair of TSW 510's  along with a Sony receiver, Sony CD player, and Sony cassette deck for $30.  From what I could find the 510s cap replacement looks to be a bit of a project (for someone like me)~~~ IMG_0897.JPG

Archived