Christmas arrived early thanks to Roy C

canman

Just got my rehabbed AR3's hooked up to my Mcintosh 2505 amp with C-26 pre-amp and Thorens TD-160 TT. I had never heard AR3s before and I am just amazed by these. The clarity and sound quality is just amazing. Hearing things from certain records I had never heard before. I see why everyone loved the AR3 years ago.

I need to clean finish up a little and figure out the grills that keep wanting to pop out at the top. They are the original material with the gold cloth/stripe in it.  Will send some photos to share soon.

Thanks everyone!

16 hours ago, canman said:

Just got my rehabbed AR3's hooked up to my Mcintosh 2505 amp with C-26 pre-amp and Thorens TD-160 TT. I had never heard AR3s before and I am just amazed by these. The clarity and sound quality is just amazing. Hearing things from certain records I had never heard before. I see why everyone loved the AR3 years ago.

I need to clean finish up a little and figure out the grills that keep wanting to pop out at the top. They are the original material with the gold cloth/stripe in it.  Will send some photos to share soon.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks, Mark...very glad your project was successful.

I'm always happy to provide assistance, parts, and the occasional repair, but in the end the outcome was in your hands. I believe the highest quality AR restorations are being completed by CSP forum members.

Roy

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful! 

I just finished restoring a pair, and made new grill frames from 1/4 inch MDF. The New Saran arrived a few days ago and hope to finish them this weekend. Those original plastic frames didn't hold up well and I think the MFD will do a better job staying flat and warp free.

Thanks to Roy for rebuilding my mids as well!

Glenn

Roy redid my  mid-range. The other speaker works but I can tell a difference between Roy's work and original. So I will probably talk with Roy and about him redoing the other mid. He does quality work and super great guy .

Keep posting photos of your work, always fun to learn from others and compare notes.

Lookin' good, Mark...and thanks again to you and Glenn for the kind words.

When the AR-3 midrange work is successful, the renewed output can be a real eye (ear?) opener.  Just be aware that they still have the same old fragile aluminum voice coil, so be careful with the volume level.

Roy

5 hours ago, canman said:

Roy, so my amp is rated at about 60 watts rms so if I never get the volume above say 50% of max, do you think that is safe?

You can't determine the amount of output your amp is providing by the position of the volume control. It varies a great deal from one device to another.

There is really no way of knowing what will do in these mids at this point. Just don't let any teenagers throw a party with them. :)

Roy

On 12/17/2016 at 7:51 AM, canman said:

I need one AR badge but almost complete.

I have nice reproductions and tarnished originals. PM me if interested.

-Kent

On December 17, 2016 at 7:51 AM, canman said:

Here are a few photos of completed AR3's.  I need one AR badge but almost complete.

After holidays I will make a set of AR replica speaker stands.

20161216_130718_resized_1(1).jpg

20161216_130722_resized.jpg

20161216_130737_resized_1.jpg

Hey can an!

I have a question regarding the original Saran on your grills. I know the Saran folds over the top and bottom of the frames, but does it also fold or wrap around the sides to the back too? It appears to in your photos, but the one original frame that came with mine is not wrapped around the sides.

Thanks, Glenn

These are my speaker numbers and data was supplied to my by Tom T., who really knows his stuff on AR3s and AR3-A's.

My speakers had not been opened and frame was attached with hot glue.  According to Tom, they are Serial number 69923-69935 were definitely manufactured by Acoustic Research at the 24 Thorndike Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts factory in May-July 1972.

It sounds like summarizing the post below my particular AR3s were at end of production run and actually feature many things from AR3A model but have AR3 drivers. I should have thought of this when ending the photos of my grills but this post might help you

anyway as a great deal of data included below. Best of luck Glen and keep us posted on your project!

Archived