crimped and soldered lugs

TimmyTonga

Well, this is just an example really. On a the board of a 3a Improved a lot of the caps and resistors are interconnected by lugs, unlike the 3a. If I'm doing a major component replacement it would just be neater to be able to release rather than cut and attach.

Those rivets...those miserable rivets.

Other than snipping the leads as mentioned, you could try drilling the rivet out.

Is that wirewound resistor hot-glued to the board?

I'll just discreetly mention the notion of replacing the old masonite board with fresh 1/2" plywood, and starting with a clean slate. -_-

If the lugs are crimped as well as soldered, you can't release the wire without prying the crimp open, and there's no way to do that without drilling out the rivet.

Just cut and solder the wire. Sleeve the joint with some shrinkwrap. You can even buy shrinkwrap in colors and match it to the insulation if it bothers you that much.

I feel honour-bound to use the original board, for some obscure reason. Maybe because it has  'AR-3a Improved' written on it in felt-pen.....as I have no papers on the back I feel it gives me just a bit more of a connection back to the factory.

all 5 resistors are hot-glued; but dried out. All the 1 and 1.5 ohm resistors are reading 25% above where they should, although the 10 ohms seem spot-on, weirdly.......

It's seems impossible to wick away enough solder to release the wire from the triangle-shaped wrap-overs of the crimp. When I have got them reasonably well-separated the wrap-overs just break when I try to bend them back.

If I drill out the rivet and replace with a screw, won't the inevitable nut on the other side mean that the board will not sit completely flat on the back of the cab? Thus leaving me with an undesirable gap? The board is not thick enough to recess them, I think.....

My local hardware actually stocks 6 X 32 X 3/8" screws. You will need a counter-set drill bit to recess the head. Better yet use a pop rivet, they don't take up much space and are fairly flush.   I have this tool. Don't know if you have Harbor Freight in the UK, but Chinese tools are sold everywhere.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-riveter-set-38353.html 

If the board is not mounted you might have a chance at some of the above mentioned fixes otherwise you can install some terminal blocks or similar depending on taste and availability.

I need to order some of these anyway: http://www.mouser.com/new/TE-Connectivity/teterminalblocks/

Roger

20 hours ago, DavidR said:

Roger, that might be the best option so far.

terminal lugs pictured

Nice -- gives me some ideas. I was at the box store today and they had terminal strips.

42 minutes ago, genek said:

Helluva lot of effort for something you're going to bury in fiberglass and hopefully never have to see again.

Well, some people take comfort knowing they did the best job they could do and there is some pride of ownership in there as well.

Archived