• 2 weeks later...

Those cabinets are indeed something of a mystery. With the exception of the height, your measured cabinet dimensions are consistent with original published dimensions, and the added dimension of the black stripe on the grille seems to be consistent with the discrepancy in height (0.7 inch, I presume) that you have already confirmed. Your grille frames are not original, and they appear to be no more than 1/4" thick (6.5 mm), but the recess of the front baffle does not seem sufficiently deep to accommodate them, particularly with the addition of velcro tabs.

But the real curiosity is the backside, with what appears to be an additional screwed-on rear panel, a finished edge on all of the cabinet side panels, partially relocated paper labels running 90° to the normal orientation, and the black collar around the opening at the controls and terminals. 

I suspect this mystery will not be solved unless some minor disassembly is explored, but meanwhile, can you confirm if that finish is real wood veneer or a simulated "faux" finish like adhesive vinyl? 

4x dims.jpg

Yes the only discrepancy is 0,7 inch in height. I think that the black stripe on grilles is a later addition to cover moisture problems. I have to send to repair both of the speakers and I ask to do interior photos.The rear opening will be useful for the repair. The finish is real wood veneer. On the front there is no trace of white glue, only black tar. The front edge in wood has a small chiseling as a small step, from the photo is not perceptibile. (Sorry for my english)

AR4X_g.JPG

8 hours ago, Gianfilippo said:

Hi Rogers the cabinet size is 10 x 19,7 x 9 ( L x H x P) a bit higher of my 4xa. What do you think about it ? Tks

Gianfilippo,

Best guess is that the original speakers were water damaged -- repairs to the boxes were made and new veneer applied. The black section of the grill cloth was to make up for the extra material needed for the longer box.

I bet they sound fine.

Roger

But is not easy to saw an AR cabinet .. Ok Roger so you say a e repair with subsequent intervention with veneer applied .. but how do you explain discrepancy 0,7 inch in height .. the front edge in wood with a small chiseling .. the black collar .. the front baffle  not seem sufficiently deep to accommodate grilles ..
Maybe the cabintes have been built entirely from new? But it si possible that they did it with all this care to details?

3 hours ago, Gianfilippo said:

But is not easy to saw an AR cabinet .. Ok Roger so you say a e repair with subsequent intervention with veneer applied .. but how do you explain discrepancy 0,7 inch in height .. the front edge in wood with a small chiseling .. the black collar .. the front baffle  not seem sufficiently deep to accommodate grilles ..
Maybe the cabintes have been built entirely from new? But it si possible that they did it with all this care to details?

Believe me, it is possible depending on how much you value your time and what tools are available. Here is the previously mentioned Elwyn speaker:

DSC03773.jpg

WoW beautiful. Ok it remains to see what's inside the AR4X modified. I hope do not find a chaos .. the sound is detuned, muffled and both of ceramic control pots not working. I have to figure out it makes sense to repair them. Thanks for all .. I will post pictures of inside. Regards

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry .. I had asked to the technician some pictures of inside the cabinet, but he sent me only those of repair. However he believes that the cabinet have been built entirely from new. The capacitors of crossover had already been replaced from prevoius owner. Looking at the photo do you know to recognize them? Are these capacitors valid products?

AR4X_repair001.jpg

Most would probably use a film cap these days rather than the electrolytic cap shown but it should work fine.

Here is a common schematic for the 4x:

2560.gif

There were quite a few different factory variations of this model with different woofers, crossovers and alternate tweeter phasing.

I may try Dave's mod at some point which is detailed in this thread:

Roger

3 hours ago, Gianfilippo said:

Oh yes Roger I love this small size speakers! I prefer AR4 to my Dynaco A25. I have not had the occasion to listen Dynaco A10, Do you had oppurtunity to compare them to AR4 ? Sorry for o/t

I haven't heard those speakers but I expect someone here on this group has. Here is an old post that may be of interest:

Archived