KLH Model 4 Manual and Setup

SarahS

I just inherited a pair of KLH Model 4 speakers from my Dad. I can't find a user/instruction manual anywhere online and I'm not sure where to start with setup. My Dad lives on the other side of the country and I would like to learn more about this so I can do it myself. Looks like my current receiver is 8 ohms max. per channel, but the speakers are 16 ohms each, so I should get a separate receiver for these speakers, correct? In which case, should the amplifier be built in to the receiver, or should I get it separately? Bi-amping is an option, but I want to start simply at first. I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but if I could just find the instruction manual online, that would be a great place to start. Any help would be much appreciated.

15 hours ago, SarahS said:

I just inherited a pair of KLH Model 4 speakers from my Dad. I can't find a user/instruction manual anywhere online and I'm not sure where to start with setup. My Dad lives on the other side of the country and I would like to learn more about this so I can do it myself. Looks like my current receiver is 8 ohms max. per channel, but the speakers are 16 ohms each, so I should get a separate receiver for these speakers, correct? In which case, should the amplifier be built in to the receiver, or should I get it separately? Bi-amping is an option, but I want to start simply at first. I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but if I could just find the instruction manual online, that would be a great place to start. Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome Sarah,

Looks like you picked a hard speaker to work on. With any luck you won't have to.

You may need a large amplifier to drive it properly.

Pictures would be of some interest here if you are able to post them for reference.

Here are some old posts on the topic:

If you have specific questions, ask away. This is not rocket science and there are only a few variables here ;)

Roger

Hmm. Thought I had something; I was partially correct. There are missing pages.

This literature says KLH designed and made the tweeter. I thought it was still the GE.

louisa207g.jpg

louisa207h.jpg

Mostly I'm just not sure if I should hook these speakers up to my receiver. It's a brand new Denon with plenty of speaker hookups, but each channel is only 8 ohms and each speaker is 16 ohms. The impedance is mismatched, and I don't want to have poor sound nor do I want to possibly damage my receiver or speakers. Most high end speakers nowadays have much lower impedance, but theoretically it should be ok to hook up as is, right? Can I buy an amplifier to hook up in between the receiver and the speakers to add the extra 16 ohms? For the speaker cables, do I need something extra-thick because of the high impedance?

I uploaded a picture of the back of each speaker. They are configured just they way my Dad had them hooked up. He used a receiver with built in amplifier with the same impedance mismatch and didn't have any problems. If I need to buy a receiver for these speakers for my record player, then I will, but I'm not sure if there are any with such high impedance. 

IMG_1616.JPG

IMG_1617.JPG

I can't foresee any problem using the Denon. I assume you have other speakers available for reference. No special wiring is necessary if the runs are not excessively long -- black to "gnd" and red to "B-C."

I haven't seen the new Denons but the home theater receiver here will disconnect if it doesn't like the load impedance. The only warning is to use loads six ohms and up.

You will notice right away if there are any issues with the sound, distortion, low volume, etc.

Roger

38 minutes ago, SarahS said:

Can someone tell me what CPS stands for? None of the charts I've found calculating gauge, ohms, and wire length go up to 16 ohms - can anyone tell me what gauge wire I should have for 15 ft at 16 ohms per wire?

Thanks,

Sarah

CPS is cycles per second which is a reference to frequency. Hertz is generally used today to denote frequency. The two switches on the back will change the midrange and treble frequency response centered at the indicated frequencies if the capacitor in your crossover hasn't deteriorated.

Any 18 gauge speaker wire or larger should suffice for your application.

Roger

Ok, thanks again for all the help. Before I hook these up, should I stand them vertically or horizontally? According to the literature, it looks like they should be on their sides, but it also says they should not be placed on the ground. Do either of those things matter, really?

Thanks,

Sarah

2 hours ago, SarahS said:

Ok, thanks again for all the help. Before I hook these up, should I stand them vertically or horizontally? According to the literature, it looks like they should be on their sides, but it also says they should not be placed on the ground. Do either of those things matter, really?

Thanks,

Sarah

Now you are getting into the fun part of audio and without some sophisticated measuring equipment you are left with your own intuition about what placement sounds best. Generally, placing speakers on room boundaries will reinforce the bass, that is, adjacent to wall or floor.

Here are some general guidelines from AR on speaker placement from the library that is also appropriate for your KLH:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/add_series_1975-1978/add_series_manuals/ar-11_through_ar-18_manual.pdf

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/special_sections/additional_ar_documents/how_to_get_the_most_from_yo/how_to_get_the_most_from_yo.html#previous-photo

Enjoy,

Roger

Hey Sarah.  Welcome to CSP. (Not to be confused with CPS)!

Great speakers.  Rogers has lined things up for you there nicely.  Sounds like you can just hook em up and use them.  Listen for odd sound is all.  Play with those switches to find the sound you like best.

Do the grilles come off?  velcro?  Please post a couple photos of them.

Archived