Music for stacked AR Top of the Line Speakers?

frankmarsi

11-5-16

Just want to share some very good classical music and opine a bit.

Well, I don't have a $28 thousand dollar tone arm but, I just ordered this somewhat rare vinyl recording and I'm thinking my set-up with stacked AR-LST’s powered with 2200+ total RMS watts will come pretty close. If in nothing else, then at least in the ‘huge-ness’ and detail and transparency of instruments will be easy to hear correctly.

Using this kind of power is essential for properly portraying transients and depth with all kinds of music and especially displays itself with strong classical music.

I’ve worked very hard to adjust and set-up my tone arms and cartridges as best as anyone could given my tools and experience of almost 45 years of using AR speakers as these speakers have always been my standard of musical quality reproduction and accuracy of measurement.

My goal has always been to adjust and set-up my system to sound as if it were producing the sound naturally instead of sounding just re-produced and I feel I've achieved my goal. It can be quite a challenge though, but that’s the fun part.

I have another version of this piece by another orchestra on a different label but, I’m believing this version will sound much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr2Ji1poTos

My best S.M.E. tone arm only cost $700. used and my best cartridge is a Lyra Kleos MSRP $3695. and does not approach the price or quality of components in this video. However, with the thought of diminishing returns, it may still come very close. Nonetheless, I feel my vinyl front-end is very satisfying to most ears and will approach a high-quality rendition of this piece easily.

I’ve tweaked my system as well as I could short of getting too crazy so I’m confident it’s up to the task.

All components are isolated from general/floor vibrations along with as many air-borne vibrations from ruining things and over all would meet most tweaker’s goals as I seek a certain level of quality and most audiophiles would likely approve of the steps I’ve taken. 

Personally I do not care for the term ‘tweaker’ but, you get my intentions here.

Over the years, I’ve made it a quest to gather as many ‘show-off’ disks as I can to allow my stacked AR-LST speakers and high-power amps to shine whenever guests come over to say hello and hear my system which seems to always become the visit’s focus.

Most times it’s rock or jazz but, this version of this piece of classical music will leave them quite dazzled along with the usual gapping mouths.

With all of its regal majesticness, this piece is a great opening to an intense listening session.

My guests always leave musically satisfied as a testament to my efforts and my system’s synergy as it's pretty well dialed in after all of these years. 

And, I owe it all to my affliction of owning AR’s top the line speakers driven by high powered amplifiers.

It's the highest level of quality I've attained thus far!

FM

P.S. I'm presently considering a similar cartridge from the same manufacturer used in the video. Unfortunately it would be the entry level version of the one in the video, which is an Air-Tight PC-1.  The cartridge I want is the Air Tight PC-7 which doesn't have much PR but, I've sourced it for around $2,500+. The cartridge in the video lists for about $11,000.

The record has been ordered and may be here by the end of next week, I hope.

I will update with my observations by using either the Delos or Kleos or ART-9 cartridges.

After watching that You Tube video, somehow my modest Sonographe SG-3, with stock LMT tonearm, and Grado Signature 8MZ cartridge doesn't seem worthy!  It must be nice to be Mikey.  Fremer gets all the good stuff.  But, I can't fault the music.  Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man has always been one of my favorites.  Appalachian Spring too. 

Thanks for sharing!

3 hours ago, Stimpy said:

After watching that You Tube video, somehow my modest Sonographe SG-3, with stock LMT tonearm, and Grado Signature 8MZ cartridge doesn't seem worthy!  It must be nice to be Mikey.  Fremer gets all the good stuff.  But, I can't fault the music.  Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man has always been one of my favorites.  Appalachian Spring too. 

Thanks for sharing!

That is a very nice set up. Excellent sound doesn't have to be expensive. 

54 minutes ago, samberger0357 said:

That is a very nice set up. Excellent sound doesn't have to be expensive. 

Thanks Sam.  I appreciate that vote of confidence.  It is actually a very good sounding table.  My 1st really good table.  And the Grado seems to work really nicely on the SG-3 too.  When I originally set up the Sonographe, I was floored with how good it sounded.  Very holographic, with the LP surface noise disconnected from the music, pushed far into the background.  It made listening to my albums much more enjoyable.  Heck, Lew Johnson, (The Johnson of Conrad Johnson) told me that he still uses a Sonographe at his vacation home.  So, it must be decent.  Works for me.  Well worth investigating. 

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 4:09 PM, frankmarsi said:

11-5-16

"I'm thinking my set-up with stacked AR-LST’s powered with 2200+ total RMS watts will come pretty close. If in nothing else, then at least in the ‘huge-ness’ and detail and transparency of instruments will be easy to hear correctly.

Using this kind of power is essential for properly portraying transients and depth with all kinds of music and especially displays itself with strong classical music."

Hi Frank,

Those LST's stacked, probably have a similar soundstage to Roy Allison's IC 20 systems that I'm using.

The LST is one that I'm sorry I never had the chance to give a listen to. It looks as though we both got going with AR's though around the same time line. (got my 2ax around 1970 or so)

That kind of power used with discretion is better than not enough, which could cook a tweeter if the amps. max out before the music does....

Bill

Perfectly good turntables from the '60s and '70s that saw little use through the CD era have emerged on CL and eBay, and present strong competition against sub-$1000 'tables from current manufacturers.

The sophistication of a top-quality Japanese direct-drive turntable from the '70s really stands out when compared against new models that would cost 2-3 times the price of a vintage tt.

11-15-16

Oh, my! 

Tom, did you go here on your own or, did my CSP post prompt you to go there?

It really doesn’t matter of course, I’m just curious though.

I received my copy of “Copland's” “Fan-Fare for the Common Man” yesterday.

I haven’t played it yet as I’m a little fearful if it will even approach the sound quality that MF displays here.

I may try it tonite, if not definitely tomorrow.

When I do get it on a table, I have to decide if it will be on a belt-drive TD125 or my favorite DD Technics SL-120.

No, of course I don’t have a $28,000. tone arm or anything approaching that but, my SME Non-Improved should prove adequate as hopefully the rest of the system will.

I'm, also fearful of failure because of the difference of MF's 'high-end' equipment as compared to my equipment which is from a long ago era. Upon first playing it I’m not even sure which cartridge to use first as sometimes, too many choices can become confusing. Actually, the only saving grace is that my choice of higher quality modern cartridges is what actually defines my system's exceptional playback quality so, I may have a slight chance of some satisfaction. Cartridge choices are: Lyra Kleos, Lyra Delos, AT ART-9, or my favorite for classical, an Ortofon Cadenza Blue.

Also, I curious if you have a copy of this disk.

Either way, I’m finding this very exciting and grateful that I have a copy of this great sounding piece. I do have other lesser and worn versions on different labels, however I'm planning on this version to be the best attainable.

FM

Fanfare for LST’s Update;

I couldn’t resist, I had to try this ‘reference’ vinyl disk in my system.

I am wise enough to approach a new vinyl disc that has a reputation of high quality and that I knew would have large/huge peak transients, especially in the lower registers of the frequency spectrum.

To first judiciously exercise caution with the volume control upon first listening is better than having regrets within the first seven minutes, because one might easily destroy a woofer. Please understand, that in my long glorious history of owning AR 12 woofers* and my usual demanding realistic sound/volume levels has led to several blown woofers and taught many lessons to me in as many years.

The disk is made on 200gm. stock nicely appointed in an anti-static sleeve.

Music wise, the composition is mostly low volume and delicate sounding but on a few occasions the orchestra’s use of tympani drums is where the composition thrusts out a few strong low frequency transients that demand much amplifier power and can challenge any stereo systems ability to sound, behave, act, simulate or whatever you want to call it, to be true to this wonderful musical event.

Instrument wise, I’m talking a big, deep, almost ominous sounding huge tympani drums coming out of nowhere and mercilessly succeeds at assaulting your woofers and system.

Thankfully, the woofer’s that occupy, or should I say, live in and control the room in which I meekly choose to sit in along with them, are pretty much dialed in and didn’t object to my chosen low volume level. Actually, they never object 99.999/never percent of the time.

My system owns this room, I merely maintain it for this system as it presides over seventy percent of the room and at this point is more in control of me than I am of ‘it’!

Regarding the ‘explosives’, and spectacular effects, sadly they only come forth on several occasions as the rest of the recording is almost low-key music at least on side one as I haven’t gotten to side two yet. I’ve never heard the complete piece, only the high-lights have been my experience until today.

The tympani drums I mentioned, are clearly as powerful sounding as the cannon shots from “The War of 1812” on the “Telarc” label as most would/should be aware of. Being familiar with those overly powerful, maybe even overly recorded cannon shots, I was prepared and ready however, like I said, they only occur seldomly through out the piece. 

To be honest, at least on my AR speaker system, the tympani’s are actually scary in their powerful and very realistic portrayal, thought some might misconstrue them as being ‘overly-done’ on smaller speakers and or with weak low powered or gutless amplifiers to the degree of distortion at least according to my life’s experience.

First off, I had used my Lyra Delos cartridge, with 55 or so hours on its beautiful sounding self and will try again with my other mid/top-end candidates as soon as I get up the nerve to listen to it again along with side two. It’s scary I tell you!

Is the record worth it? Perhaps for some, especially if you’re a fan of “Copland’s” music and certainly if you enjoy huge low-frequency musical effects which will test the best of anyone’s woofers and power amp’s capability and reserve power. 

The recorded tympani’s power not only demands woofers and amplifiers that are capable but, a ‘front-end’  that is able to accurately portray such ‘program-material’ with high resolution.

*I still maintain a spare woofer supply of 16 to 18+ units.

*For you sudo, semi, quasi, rock lovers, Leon Russell died two days ago. I have his first album I bought when it was first issued but, after playing it I quickly lost interest thereafter. Though, I did enjoy him at the “Bangladesh” concert at MSG” in 1971, second show.

*My best friend, Tony G. bought tickets for me, my amore, Maria, along with and him and his girl. 

I loved it when Clapton came out in his, at the time, and although he was my hero, it was a somewhat subdued role.

Then again, as far as was able to enjoy it all as we were in the 33 row center-stage while using binoculars. 

I certainly cannot begin to relate to $28K tonearms or $3700 cartridges, but in the same year 1971 when I bought my first AR speakers, Leon Russell singing a verse on George Harrison's tune "Beware of Darkness" at the MSG concert just might have been the highlight of that recording for me.

And in other breaking news, another original musician, Mose Allison, died this morning.

2 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

*I still maintain a spare woofer supply of 16 to 18+ units.

Still trying to believe what I think I just read....

just tie in a sub. Like an 18 inch powered Velodyne and you can enjoy those LSTS without destroying the vintage AR woofers....a nobrainer 

Bill

Archived