Question on recently acquired AL 125s

rotoscout

Question for Bill or any of the other regulars here...

I recently came into pair of AL 125's serial #0046 Is there anything particularly special about this pair? I haven't been able to find out too much about the AL's in general and less so about the 125's specifically. Are the ones from the Framingam, MA facility, such as these, more or less sought after then the ones from the newer owners in Kentucky?

Would it be wise to replace the foam myself and attempt any other repairs or would I risk doing more harm than good?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I've attached a few pictures so folks can get an idea of their condition. Thanks!

-Ken

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi Ken,

The cabinets and grilles look to be in nice shape, but hard to see detail in those shots. The protective screen for the midrange in the right system looks mashed in.....is that just the bad picture?

Anyway, if both tweeters and mids are working, you have a great foundation to go on with and restore the woofers.

Those original drivers are so tough to come by today that you may want to reconsider the effort if one or more of those are dead.

Nothing special about those serial numbers or the origin (newer location.) It's all about physical condition.

The 125 is the smaller brother to the 130, having 6" rather than 8" push pull woofer section. The 130 goes roughly 10hz lower than the 125.

Bill

Archived