getting louder gradually

im 61,and allways had an loved klh,and cerwin vega speakers,never even seen an a r speaker,but i read,an listened to many youtube samples of them

i got my first ar speakers yesterday off of ebay,made the guy a deal,i hooked them up,an i thought wow there clear..but wheres the volume..im used to my klh,modell 33,s immediate loudness but allways wanted more treble,so i diddled with the mid an treble knobs an wow,here came the sound an one speaker was muffled though..i twisted an moved the knob more an more an ..wow here came a real nice crystal clarity an i knew i was there,but after about 20 minutesi noticed there soundin louder an great treble very accurate and splashy,im hearing things i never heard before,i had to back off the volume an bass an treble,an could not stop enjoying them,running them thru my onkyo tx-sr606..its never sounded quite this good an huge wwith such clear treble etc..but...tonite i turn them on,an there again not very loud an 15 or 20 minutes goes by,and wow there gettin lo0uder,yes i do need to clean the pots for sure..but..whats goin on here.maybe a miracle my onkyo is  still goin ok after 8 years or so,im new here..i have never had sound this beautiful except thru maybe an old klh model 20 stereo an turntable set up years ago..im not crazy..i think its still gettin louder an bassier,the onkyo as we know aint tubes either..help me here please..whats goin on................

Some photos of your new found treasure would be of help -- welcome to AR Land by the way :)

Read through the restoration guide for the AR-3 will reveal what's in the box.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/original_models_1954-1974/original_models_schematicss/restoring_the_ar-3a/restoring_the_ar-3a_full_pd.pdf

Enjoy,

Roger

my 2ax's were the same way.  I think you have pots in need of attention.  Those SOB's are the unfortunate weak link now that they are the age they are.  Of course it could be something else but if that clarity and sound is just coming and going it probably is just the pots.  find a sweet spot somewhere by adjusting the one that appears to be the culprit if you can, but they need to be removed and cleaned to see if they are still viable. If needed to isolate which driver it is that is coming and going, use a paper towel cardboard roll to listen thru up against each.

Many a threads on here that run through how to deal with them including the AR3a restoration manual that Roger pointed out.  Do your research here by reading thry threads and you will find answers.  Otherwise keep posting.

Funny thing, The AR might be a what you would get combining KLH with CV! Great mid and high tones with bass that can drive.

Archived