AR1 Questions

samuelE

AF1QipPzAOsagQOmLb9FdA4vcBK-N9mv-NS87tSn

AF1QipNs44Lk_CGAgY0WEcA-U0th3l463GAoR7FU

OK, this is now my third try at posting and including images. Crossing fingers .. !

I've joined this site because I have an AR1 speaker. This speaker was purchased new by my stepfather, he is no longer with us. So, I'm not certain of the year he bought it. It is in perfect working order, the cabinet shows some minor wear, but I think a good furniture polish will take care of that issue. The serial number is 3383.

Here's hoping the embedded links work properly, one image is of the speaker itself, the other is of the label on the back.

Any information regarding the age, specific configuration (this one had maroon sculptured grill cloth), and of course a realistic valuation. One similar to this one is on ebay for$2,499.00 as I recall.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

The AR-1 was built from 1954-1962; its high valuation is due largely to the Altec 755 driver used to reproduce the system's upper range.

Single unmolested AR-1 speakers have been selling at around $2K on eBay; try searching completed successful auctions for tips on how to proceed.

Thank you for the information. Would it be possible to more closely identify the year from the serial number?

I noticed that the one currently on sale at ebay has a wheat colored grill cloth, this one is Maroon, wonder if that might indicate the year range.

If you copy and paste the link into your browser you will be able to view the photos.

Again, thank you

Samuel

SamuelE

This is a late reply but hopefully you'll stop back to view it.

Your speaker (#3383) was manufactured in 1956. Early lacquered finished AR-1's came with wood choices of mahogany, birch, or korina, Grills cloths were (mostly) beige or maroon, each with gold thread.

Thank you Jeff. This one is Mahogany with the maroon grill cloth.

Still considering whether I should keep it or let it go.

I'm thinking that if it would go to someone that would actually use it, that would be the right decision.

Alternatively, if I could purchase a decent mono amplifier for a good price, I could use it to edit and master my audio books which are all done in mono. If you or anyone else on the boards could point my in the direction of an appropriately matched mono amp I might end up going that route. My stepdad built a Heath kit amp when he put together the original setup along with a Rek-O-Kut turntable. Both the amp and the turntable got away before I could get my hands on them.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I figured out how to utilize an old Pioneer stereo amp by hooking up an 8 ohm load to the other channel. I know the AR1 was intended to be used as a 4 ohm speaker and I will get that worked out shortly. However even at 8 ohms with 20 watts RMS this speaker sounds unbelievable, good unbelievable. I'm using it mostly to edit and master my audiobooks which are always done in mono. 

My stereo system is four Klipsch Heresy, powered by an Onkyo M-5100 power amp through an Onkyo P-3300 pre amp. needless to say that system rocks. However, the Heresy speakers have a color that is unique and I think not good for reference work. My feeling as of this writing that the AR1 is perfect for mastering/reference type use. The speaker is even across the frequency range with no unique color that I can identify.

So, at this point, I plan on keeping and using the AR1. Thanks to everyone who provided the information I asked for.

Samuel

Samuel,

Your amplifier solution sounds fine and there is really no need to find a mono amp for this purpose unless that is what you prefer (of course I'm sure your AR-1 wouldn't mind being driven by a 'period correct' McIntosh, Heathkit, or Scott mono tube amp if you had one sitting around). If you decide to use the speaker for music reproduction with a more powerful amplifier make sure that you don't hear any rattles / buzzes caused by a loose spider or surround mounting (due to dried glue) before taking the volume up. And if you haven't fed it music with low bass yet, you should just to hear what it will do. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised (as long as everything is still well sealed)!

I like your idea of keeping an AR-1 employed for audio book mastering use. Sort of like driving a 1956 Citroen DS to pick up the groceries.

Hey Jeff,

Thanks again for your input, you clearly know your stuff. 

I will never forgive my self for letting go of my Macintosh equipment, two 30 watt mono amps through a stereo pre amp and the matching tuner. I don't recall the model numbers or the year of manufacture, but I bought them at a going out of business sale for $400.00. In my defense I was 20 years old and sold them when I was 22. 

This AR1 was originally powered by a Heathkit that my stepfather built. Any ideas on where one might pick up a matching Heathkit?

I have put some strong low end through the speaker. I'm learning to mix music through my Reaper DAW. Back in the 70's I worked side by side with Crosby Stills and Nash's producer engineer for a year and he suggest doing initial mixing in mono. 

Wish I had a 56 Citroen, I'm sure the groceries would taste better just from having ridden in a fine French auto.

Samuel 

Archived