Ar3 causes Mcintosh 2505 to clip out at 50%

canman

One of my recently found AR3 speakers is "in the shop" with mid repairs and new caps to be installed.  I was off today and thought, what the heck and I will listen to the one good AR3 with my Mcintosh 2505 amp and C-26 pre-amp.  Sounded great till about 50% on volume and it tripped the amp circuit breaker protection.  I did this twice and both times at about same volume.

Maybe stupid question, but I assume it is dangerous to run stereo with just one speakers or do you think I have an issue with the other Ar3 (I hope not).

What does everyone think.  The 2505 is about 60 watts rms.

There's a couple of possibilities with the MC2505.
The Sentry Monitor protection watches for an excessive mismatch of the output between the two channels, and will activate to protect the output transistors. My guess is that this is what's happening.

There is also a temperature-sensing device that will shut the amplifier down at a pre-set temperature.

And double-check your connections at the 4-ohm autoformer tap for both channels, and be sure that there are no strands of wire, etc. that could be causing a short.

And what geneK said; I wouldn't run it with one speaker.

Maybe it would be wise to swap L & R channel speaker leads, so you can verify if you should try to find the problem in the amp or speakers? Unless this was the first thing you already did...

Kimmo

Archived