Just heard my Fours for the first time

jayrosc

19 hours ago, newandold said:

Then you are a fan of those wide dispersion characteristics the Four shares with the one and two no doubt 

Bill

You bet. I've got a pair of Two's here as well. They need new foam. Not sure I'm going to do it now that I've heard how good the fours are with good, clean, high power at moderate to high volume.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had Allison Fours for 37 years and still love them. They are truly exceptional speakers. Over time I have expanded from my original pair to a home theater set up with three Fours and two Sixes. All of them have been re-foamed over time. Added to this is an Allison 12-inch powered subwoofer. They are driven by a Yamaha receiver. This is in the living room.

In my den I have two Allison 110s in front, two 110s in the rear and a Radio Shack Minimus 77 as a center speaker. These are equalized by a Yamaha receiver and sound quite good together.

I had a pair of 115s which I gave to my daughter and son-in-law. They have a home in the mountains with a two-story-high living room that is entirely wood-lined. They are powered by an analog Yamaha integrated amplifier and sound absolutely amazing in that room. One of them is, I believe, the last one of this model ever made (yes, there's a story).

17 hours ago, mpfrank said:

I have had Allison Fours for 37 years and still love them. They are truly exceptional speakers. Over time I have expanded from my original pair to a home theater set up with three Fours and two Sixes. All of them have been re-foamed over time. Added to this is an Allison 12-inch powered subwoofer. They are driven by a Yamaha receiver. This is in the living room.

In my den I have two Allison 110s in front, two 110s in the rear and a Radio Shack Minimus 77 as a center speaker. These are equalized by a Yamaha receiver and sound quite good together.

I had a pair of 115s which I gave to my daughter and son-in-law. They have a home in the mountains with a two-story-high living room that is entirely wood-lined. They are powered by an analog Yamaha integrated amplifier and sound absolutely amazing in that room. One of them is, I believe, the last one of this model ever made (yes, there's a story).

Well, you have my curiosity!

What is the "last one ever made" story?

I can relate since I have a first pair  (Allison)

Bill

Hi Bill,

I had purchased one A-115 to use as a center channel between two Fours. I later filled out that system with two Sixes and decided I wanted a match for the 115 to use as the rear surround. So I wrote to David Faulkner at Stanford Acoustics on 12/15/01 congratulating him on the new line of the classic speakers they had just come out with and also asked if he had "another A-115 lying around somewhere that you could sell me so that I will have a matching rear channel.".

Here was his response: "Thanks for the kind words...I am very busy with preparation for the CES show in January. Get back to me after CES and I will have a 115 built for you."

Which he did.

That sounds like David....he was very accommodating and gave it a good shot back then. Hard to believe how long ago it was.

Last time I talked with him he seemed to have too much time on his hands....that's because they were cleaning out the office for good unfortunately.

I bought some inventory from him in Oct. of 2000 which included a closeout on those NL1440 units, very similar to the 115 though with a smaller cabinet....still the 8 inch woofer though, the same one from the 115. You can see the restoration I did under the 8 inch woofer restoration thread if you're interested.

I bought a pair of 115's on Ebay around 10 years ago. They are in very good shape, but have no serial numbers (removed by someone before I got them). They now have new foam and new spiders also.

Bill

Archived