What's the lowest amount of watts you have used with our AR3/3A's?

samberger0357

21 minutes ago, owlsplace said:

Okay, last time I was in Boston was in the 70's taking the test for my First Class Radiotelephone license with the FCC.

Did you work with any stations up there? Completely different city back then. 

I'm gonna go ahead and make an assumption that you're related to the former MA guv, and present day vp nominee of the Independent wing?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, samberger0357 said:

Did you work with any stations up there? Completely different city back then. 

I'm gonna go ahead and make an assumption that you're related to the former MA guv, and present day vp nominee of the Independent wing?

No, I didn't work with any stations ... did overnight in the harbor on a friend's sailboat in '73 ... remember going to see the musical "Hair" and bar hopping in S Boston before shipping off to Germany ... long ago and far away ... 7th cousin to Bill which is quite a way back -- he is from the Brahmin side of the family vs the Swamp Yankee side  ;)

14 minutes ago, owlsplace said:

No, I didn't work with any stations ... did overnight in the harbor on a friend's sailboat in '73 ... remember going to see the musical "Hair" and bar hopping in S Boston before shipping off to Germany ... long ago and far away ... 7th cousin to Bill which is quite a way back -- he is from the Brahmin side of the family vs the Swamp Yankee side  ;)

Bar hopping in Southie in the 70's could be a dangerous proposition. I had some friends who lived there so I, a jewish kid from the suburbs could get away with it, but I saw some brutal beatings along the way. And then of course there was Mr. Bulger's establishment, but you didn't go in there unless you really had connections. 

14 minutes ago, samberger0357 said:

Bar hopping in Southie in the 70's could be a dangerous proposition. I had some friends who lived there so I, a jewish kid from the suburbs could get away with it, but I saw some brutal beatings along the way. And then of course there was Mr. Bulger's establishment, but you didn't go in there unless you really had connections. 

Yes, where angels fear to tread ... now that I've jostled my memory a bit it was more like '74 and the musical was "Jesus Christ, Superstar."

Read through this thread and have a couple comments.  Sure we are talking the 3 but my first real speakers were the 5 and they were driven by something with only a few watts, upgrading to a group of separates as soon as the paper route provided the funds.  I got a Dynaco ST-120 kit which worked wonders with those speakers and didn't have any problems for the 4 years I owned it.  I was able to take out a tweeter once or twice while the speakers were under warranty.  Replacement for the 60 wpc  Dynaco was a Crown DC-300a, no more problems, well not with the AR speakers.

On the topic of power for the AR-3, does anyone have an idea how much is too much for the tweeter with the speaker driven full range?  Will the tweets be happy with one of those Crown amps?  What size fuse would save the speaker or just the tweeter if one is going that direction?

24 minutes ago, 8991XJ said:

Read through this thread and have a couple comments.  Sure we are talking the 3 but my first real speakers were the 5 and they were driven by something with only a few watts, upgrading to a group of separates as soon as the paper route provided the funds.  I got a Dynaco ST-120 kit which worked wonders with those speakers and didn't have any problems for the 4 years I owned it.  I was able to take out a tweeter once or twice while the speakers were under warranty.  Replacement for the 60 wpc  Dynaco was a Crown DC-300a, no more problems, well not with the AR speakers.

On the topic of power for the AR-3, does anyone have an idea how much is too much for the tweeter with the speaker driven full range?  Will the tweets be happy with one of those Crown amps?  What size fuse would save the speaker or just the tweeter if one is going that direction?

I use a Crown XLS1000, as recommended by Tom Tyson, with my 3's, and it's a very good combination. I tend to listen at lower levels so I'm not worried about blowing out a tweet. 

Here's an old thread that might address some of your other questions until somebody else chimes in:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/1471-amp-power-for-ar-3-speakers/

9 minutes ago, 8991XJ said:

Similar to my experience although I began with a Pioneer 60wpc integrated amp with AR-5's. The Classic-era drivers have age-related issues these days and are difficult to replace. The AR fusing document is in the library and I believe the 3a's used an FNM 1-1/4 amp Bussman/Cooper dual element slow blow design. Not sure if the original 3 was spec'd for the same fuse.

Heathkit used 1/2 amp fast blow fuse just on the tweeter. If you look at the voice coil wires coming out from the dome you will see why.

Here is a page from a document in the library that may answer your amplifier questions:
http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/add_series_1975-1978/add_series_brochures/ar_guide_to_loudspeakers/ar_guide_to_loudspeakers_pg_24.html

Roger

Archived