AR3a Tweeters

der

I'm making some progress on my HiVi tweeter AR3a test.  Glued small painted wood blocks to the backs of the tweeters and then the inductors onto the wood blocks. My plan is to then glue the capacitors to the inductors and wire the whole thing up.  Still unsure whether or not to wire the caps to the black side of the tweeter since it has been said that you should wire the tweeter out of phase with the rest of the system. If that is the case it follows that it should be wired to the red (+) side of the tweeter.  I still have some duct seal so I plan to use that to seal the new units in. My speakers have front wired mids and tweeters so I still need to drill holes to feed the wires through.

der

hivi1.JPG

vivi2.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
On 11/17/2016 at 9:59 AM, der said:

Still unsure whether or not to wire the caps to the black side of the tweeter since it has been said that you should wire the tweeter out of phase with the rest of the system. If that is the case it follows that it should be wired to the red (+) side of the tweeter.

The new cap has to be in series with the original 6uF tweeter cap. I believe black wire is negative and the yellow (not red) wire is positive. In mine, the tweeter IS wired out of phase (so the black goes to +) but the extra 6uF cap is on the black wire.

-Kent

I am sorry but I have never installed the HIVI tweeters. My wife and I are both having health issues and I'm not sure when I'll get around to giving them a try. My original tweeters still have output. My plan was to replace just on tweeter with a HIVI as a test.

I do apologize for my lack of a a follow up.

der

I will eventually get there. I'm having a shoulder replaced next week and in a couple pf months I'll have two good limbs again so I can finish some things! HIVI's among them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 11:07 AM, stan461 said:

Good luck on the surgery and please keep us posted on your recovery.

Got the shoulder this past Friday. It went well. Sore but home now and doing some rehab.

Thanks stupidhead. This is my second go round with this left shoulder. Had rotator cuff nearly 20 years ago. Now, a reverse shoulder replacement.  So far, less pain than before and simpler rehab - all done at home. 

der

Archived