AR 9 crossover coils melted!

Guest audioslave

"Also Sprach" was the introductory theme in "2001: A Space Odyssey"...Kubrick largely used parts of Beethoven's 9th Symphony in "Clockwork". In addition to the music already mentioned, Telarc produced a fantastic recording of the Saint-Saens "Organ" Symphony, #3, with the Philadelphia Orchestra. A wide-dynamic recording, with realistic-sounding instruments...very impressive!

Thank you ar pro for correcting me about the opening of the 2001 Space Odyssey. Would you believe I had the jewel box for the disc in my hand while I was typing and still couldn't get it right.

I must have at least 10 recordings of the Beethoven's 9th symphony on cd and maybe another 3 or 4 more on vinyl. My favorite is the Von Karajan recording made around 1962 (he made several) and I own it as part of a set of all 9 (I also own the Bruno Walter set.)

There are many great recordings of the Saint Saens Organ Symphony (number 3). My favorite is on DG 419 617-2 with Levine conducting the Berliner Philharmoniker. Once again, only the capabilities of the digital format IMO can capture the full power of a pipe organ. The last movement will give your sound system quite a workout. You also get a fine performance of the Dukas, Sorceror's Apprentice. I have not heard the Telarc recording but I will look for it. Generally this label doesn't impress me but the Philadelphia Orchestra is one of the greatest.

Yes, most Telarc offerings seem to be fine recordings of average performances. Second your opinion of the HVK 1963 Ninth...I have it on the DGG "Originals" release, andf it's outstanding. For "something completely different", try the Bridge recording (BCD 9033) of the 1895 Gustav Mahler Edition of the Ninth...with significant changes in the dynamic markings, additional tympani & horns, and doubling of the woods & strings!

Archived