First ADS'S

audiofreak

ADS L810 in the house. Have been listening to (l910 triamped, L810 biamped at a friend's for years) Finley found a pair for myself. Big surprise as how well they work with the Krell amp. Detail is just silly, bass punch is tight and fast. Mids and highs are clean and clear. Really good match for the Krell. Very pleased.

14 hours ago, audiofreak said:

ADS L810 in the house. Have been listening to (l910 triamped, L810 biamped at a friend's for years) Finley found a pair for myself. Big surprise as how well they work with the Krell amp. Detail is just silly, bass punch is tight and fast. Mids and highs are clean and clear. Really good match for the Krell. Very pleased.

Just curious, what do you mean by "bass punch is tight and fast?"

By fast and tight I am trying to describe the bass as each drum beat is clear (no muddyness or boomyness.) Bass strokes are not "elongated" very live sounding. Stand up base's clear and more "present" less recessed. Each bass instrument is sepporate and distinct and has its  "own space" not intermingled with one another. As you see I'm not good at describing what I hear. I hope this helps.

Actually I've been listening to them for about a month and they just get better (in my system) and I'm playing around with biamping them. Have had the xover set up to biamp them with a dynaco on top (500 htz up) and the Krell at 500 down. Thru an active 2 ch extrenal xover. Quite impressive! 

Just now, audiofreak said:

By fast and tight I am trying to describe the bass as each drum beat is clear (no muddyness or boomyness.) Bass strokes are not "elongated" very live sounding. Stand up base's clear and more "present" less recessed. Each bass instrument is sepporate and distinct and has its  "own space" not intermingled with one another. As you see I'm not good at describing what I hear. I hope this helps.

audiofreak, the expression "bass punch is tight and fast" really doesn't mean anything.  It's an old, tired, audiophile expression that's not based in actual science, and it probably originated at Stereophile magazine back many years ago.  It's not the woofers that reproduce most low-frequency transients; it's the midrange and treble that reproduce those overtones and harmonics.  The woofer reproduces mostly lumbering, steady-state sounds.  If the bass sounds extra crisp and "dry," then the woofer could be over-damped.  You don't really want this, but what you are trying to describe in the ADS is the clarity of the midrange and treble dome drivers.  Bass-drum rim shots sound clear and well-defines, and plucked violin strings would sound crisp, etc.  The woofer actually has very little to do with this effect.

Oh well that's why I'm not a writter. Don't  consider myself an "audiophile" either! Guess I will have to take a primer on audiospeak so I can articulate "sound" better. It's  difficult, as I know everyone "hears" differently, to discribe what to me is almost an emotion.

4 minutes ago, audiofreak said:

Oh well that's why I'm not a writter. Don't  consider myself an "audiophile" either! Guess I will have to take a primer on audiospeak so I can articulate "sound" better. It's  difficult, as I know everyone "hears" differently, to discribe what to me is almost an emotion.

audiofreak, it's fine; we all knew what you were trying to say.  Just saying that the expression "tight bass," and "bass punch" are frequently used to describe an emotional experience that sometimes doesn't exist in the real world.

Thank you GD70 it been a journey that wont end im afraid.Of the many "affordable "  (or cheep) xovers out there I have found the rane proforms well. And the build quality is very good. What I would like to have would require a little larceny  IE: rob a bank! LOL. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2016 at 10:03 AM, DavidDru said:

Nice ST70.  I need to find a way to use mine more and this might be a route to explore.

Lets see some photos of the 810's!

Going back in time to 1968... I used to listen for hours on end to my hi-fi system with Dynaco (Dynakit) preamps, power amps and tuners, and I always enjoyed the clean, low-distortion sound!  

AR_Garage-Apt-AR-3a-Standard_1968_002.jpg

AR-3a_Lightning_Damage_1968_(06).jpg

AR-3a_Lightning_Damage_Back-Panel_1968(12).jpg

One system I owned had AR-3a speakers (and AR-4x) Dyna Mark III amps, and I had this system running when my apartment one fine day when the setup was struck by lightning (see images), making a direct hit through the side of the apartment, penetrating the back side of one AR-3a, burning the speaker wires and eventually damaging one Mark III!  The AR-3a's fiberglass caught fire inside the cabinet, and the woofer cone was displace all the way outside of the magnet gap, but it actually survived!  

AR-3a_Lightning_Damage_1968_(08a).jpg

AR-3a_Lightning_Damage_1968_inscript (06b).jpg

I eased the cone back into the gap, and the woofer seemed to work fine, but I sent the whole thing back to AR, where the company refurbished the entire speaker for free and returned it prepaid to me!  I still own this pair of AR-3as, and they work fine.

I had a Dyna Stereo 70 at one point, Dyna Mark IIIs, Dyna PAM-1 and PAS-3X and many other Dynas I built in kit form!  After the lightning strike, I started using the AR Amplifier.  This was the last time I actually had Dyna products in use until I bought a Dyna 400 to use with my AR-LSTs.  That amp failed, unfortunately, after a night of heavy listening.

By the way, does anyone else have any interesting stories about their systems?  Any fires, complete failures or injuries?

--Tom tyson

AR_Garage-Apt-Equipment_1968s.jpg

Archived