AR 2 Speakers

sean kirk

Hi all. Can someone tell me the difference between the AR4X speakers and the AR2? What year are the AR2 speakers?

I have a chance to buy all these things: Dual 1009 turntable, an H.H. Scott Receiver, 2 AR 2 Speakers.

Not sure if it's a smart thing to do? $200... Any advice would be appreciated from such a helpful Blog site :)

00m0m_gggTtCKIHrs_1200x900.jpg

00b0b_2f2QlNIJU0p_1200x900.jpg

00u0u_6Xxg04QZKh3_1200x900.jpg

P1040467.JPG

P1040468.JPG

P1040470.JPG

Hi Sean and welcome!

BUY THEM!

First, what you have there are AR-2a (not 2) speakers. That's good. I have the 4x (purchased new in 1969) and the 2a (recent acquisitions) as well as 3a. Used to have the 2ax, which are very nice.

Take a look in our Library http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/

The speakers mentioned are all from the original series, 1954-1974. Not sure of the exact years for the 2a, early '60s I think but others here will narrow it down. The 2a has a 10" Alnico woofer in a sturdy cast aluminum frame, a pair of angled tweeters and a phenolic dome supertweeter. The tweeters are angled in such a way that the speakers were meant to be placed on their sides, on a bookshelf but many place them upright. They will need some work: The pots (level controls) will have to be cleaned or maybe replaced. The capacitors will probably NOT need replacement if they are the oil-filled type found in my 2a's. The woofer surround is cloth, so won't need to be replaced but it may need a treatment with CSP member RoyC's sealant (do NOT use anything else. Either buy the sealant from Roy or from Vintage-AR). The cabinet scratches can be fixed with some VERY careful sanding (it's only veneer). And the linen grille cloth can possibly be cleaned. If not, nice linen is available.

Be sure to read the AR-3a restoration guide in the Library. The 2a is the little brother to the 3a and most of what you read about restoring the 3a applies to the 2a.

The grilles are a dog to remove so don't be too hasty.

I like the 2a a lot. It's a bigger, fuller sounding speaker than the 4x. The 4x is a great speaker for its size but the 2a gives you more.

I'd consider the receiver and TT a bonus. Both look good. btw, the receiver is in the wood cabinet backward. Love all the wood! The Scott, Dual & AR combo will give you a great LOOKING as well as great sounding vintage setup. Is that A scott 348? Some info and a schematic here: http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/hh-scott/348.shtml   and here are manuals and other info on the Dual 1009: http://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/1009.shtml

Just remember--the Scott will need to be checked out by a qualified technician and the Dual will probably need some cleaning and oiling and tweaking. Maybe a new cartridge. None of this can be enjoyed "as-is" IMHO. You will need to invest some time and a little money but the results should be very worthwhile.

Keep us posted and ask any questions you may have.

-Kent

Sean run, go buy this package!

Not 2ax but 2a. The progression went 2, 2a and lastly 2ax. Each incarnation was an upgrade from the previous.

Love the backwards case on the amp, that amp I am not familiar with but that era of Scott was generally highly regarded.

Any idea what cartridge is in the Dual? I wouldn't ask the seller as to not reveal your hand but this group of components is worth $200 all day!

Geoff

Hope these speakers are in your car and on the way home. The Scott and the Dual are an added bonus. What a great find.  If those are AR2a's they have the grills of a AR2ax. Strangely enough, my 2a's came with this type of grill. They had been upgraded to 2ax's but have subsequently now been put back to 2a's. 

IMG_0333_zpsrpmncmh4.jpg

Here is what 2a's should look like with everything original.

post-101828-1229745728_zpshb9r4xel.jpg

A nice vintage system; I'll bet someone got a lot of enjoyment from these components.

Regarding the Dual turntable - any testing should be done with a record that you don't especially value.  The installed cartridge appears to be a type of Stanton, a brand that was pretty well-regarded in the Golden Age of hi-fi, and still has a presence with modern DJs.

Kent's link to the manuals will be a big help to you - have fun!

44 minutes ago, larrybody said:

Here is what 2a's should look like with everything original.

btw--those are my 2a's, with one of my 4x's on top

:)

OK so I bought them! Thanks for all your input. The backs of the speakers say 2ax. See the photo of one next to my 4x.

I also got the Scott receiver and the Dual 1009, all for $200. Bought the gentleman a beer too. The receiver needs work as does the TT. The TT has a glass dust cover. I'm just stoked to have such fine gear for a great price.

I played the 2ax speakers and wow.... much more presence than the 4x. Bigger, warmer, more punch and it feels like more separation.

Love the look of the system. Thanks again for the help :)

IMG_3564.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

4 hours ago, sean kirk said:

Oh, I forget to ask. How do I remove the cover on the 2ax speakers?

Using Cotter Pin Puller, pull out all the staples ( about eight to ten ones) I had saw the 2ax/4x with low serial numbers that used the staples for holding the grills instead of using the hot glue for the grills holding, from the PIC I see your 2ax using the staples for holding ....

IMG_3564.jpg.aa8fe068790ec98d5da9adf66479b08c.jpg

10 hours ago, JKent said:

btw--those are my 2a's, with one of my 4x's on top

:)

Sorry about using your image. That picture has been renamed JKent's2a's. I wish I had that grill cloth. The only thing I am missing.

44 minutes ago, larrybody said:

Sorry about using your image. That picture has been renamed JKent's2a's. I wish I had that grill cloth. The only thing I am missing.

No harm/no foul. Happy to see them here.

5 hours ago, sean kirk said:

The backs of the speakers say 2ax.

Interesting. They must be very early 2ax's. I "had" a pair just like those (can't keep 'em all), SN 41070 & 40214. See photo below. The tweeters in these are later style 2ax tweets. The early ones had red phenolic domes. Assuming that's what yours have, look at the domes closely to make sure they haven't popped off the 3 foam suspension points. A photo of that is also shown below and that's a catastrophic failure (which is why I had to replace them).

What are the serial numbers on yours? We'll want to see "naked" pictures once you get the grilles off.

What happened to the "a" badges shown in the 1st picture. Hope you still have them.

I assume your 2ax's have the cast aluminum frame alnico woofers. The caps may not be the oil-filled ones used in the 2a so check them out. I think the early 2ax has one 6uF and one 4uF per speaker. Attached xover schematic from John O'Hanlon.

-Kent

AR2ax.jpg

AR_2ax_Early_Model_.jpg

tweet popped.jpg

The "a" was shown in the photo so you might want to contact the seller and see if it/they fell off and ask him to send them to you.

I have some reproduction a's that I sell on the auction site. Send me a PM if interested.

-Kent

Archived