Question about the AR8

jason4300

Hello all. Found my way here a while back while looking for info on an AR94si restoration and never got around to posting until now.

I was browsing ebay and found a set of original AR8's located within a few minutes of where I live. They look to be in great condition other than needing new surrounds and more than likely a crossover rebuild. With shipping costs out of the picture, the price($75) seems reasonable.

There doesn't seem to be much info out there on these other than a few posts I've found on this site. Sound-wise, what's the general opinion on these?

Thanks

I'm glad someone is buying those if only for the drivers. I think they sold once but the buyer must have backed out. I have a pair of woofers from a set of 8's ready to install in a pair of AR-5's :)

Before you read any opinions about them it would be nice if you put them into service and listened to them and then we can all benefit from a fresh opinion. I'm pretty sure they have the single cap crossover -- so two caps and two surrounds is all it will take and the caps may not be all that bad if they are the blue Sprague's.

Roger

I saw they had been listed a few times before and sold once.

I haven't bid on them, or even reached out to the seller to see if he's ok with local pickup. I was actually hoping to hear some opinions from people who had heard these before committing. I definitely don't need another set of speakers, but I wouldn't mind owning a nice sounding set of vintage AR's if the price is right. These seem to be pretty elusive and the very minimal reviews I've read range from "mediocre" to "quite nice".

Archived