AR-LST mounting.............

frankmarsi

8-20-16, 2:13P.M. EST

Here’s something interesting for AR-LST owners.

This is something that seems very helpful for owners of this sometimes difficult to place speaker. As explained in the offer, these are a one-off item.

Also as indicated the weight of the LST and this seemingly very strong 'cradle' might be difficult to use because of the high weight of speaker and 'cradle' combined.

So to me, mounted to a wall containing a normal 2X4 studded wall construction should be well thought out first. And although these seem to be very well made, I know I'd be alert when passing under these every time I did, not to mention using these in a earthquake prone location.

If anyone is so inclined to fabricate a pair or two of these, please let me know, I'd be interested nonetheless. I think they're groovy!*

FM

*A dated and 1960's term granted but, when your life centers around playing vinyl disks all of the time, it still remains as part of my vocabulary. Well, at least in my mind.

I like it better than the over used term 'awesome', that's for sure.

Wait a minute Norton! There appears to be a familiar name at the bottom of the text in this offer.

I thank you Tom Tyson but, I have to ask you. Where did you find these? 

Not to be offending or insulting but, they kind of look like urinals so I feel a certain closeness to them. LOL!

Wait another minute! In this world of 'politically-correct'  bullshit that is pervading our culture are these considered 'correct'?

*Tom Tyson, if you prefer that I delete or re-word my post here, I will. Please advise me by email at: frankmarsi@verizon.net

I will respect your wishes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Research-Inc-AR-AR-LST-Loudspeaker-Wall-Stands-Pair-Paintable-/322234198571?hash=item4b06a7aa2b:g:hskAAOSw6n5Xt7yK

I designed these wall mounts (and they do sort of look like "Frank's Urinals," now that you mention it!), and I sent drawings to AR to see what interest the company might have with them.  There was interest -- probably out of politeness -- but due to the size, weight and high cost, nothing materialized as AR inched closer to the new-style ADD speakers later in the mid-70s.  The LST was nearing the end of its career by 1974-1975.  

The important thing to me was providing enough strength to hold them securely to the wall without having to mount brackets on the back of the LST (AR did have the big-speaker "French Cleat" wall-hanging brackets, but it required screwing into the back of the speaker).  Also important was the notion to protect the speakers and to have the stand blend in with the wall to make it appear as if the speakers were "built-in."  Painted the wall color, the stands were barely noticeable in the presence of the prominently physical appearance of the AR-LST.

AR-LST_636_Wall-Mount_Enclosure_(07).jpg

The LSTs were mounted too high in this picture, but there was no choice because of headroom along a hall to the right side.  Because the speakers were so close to the ceiling, the sound quality was compromised somewhat; I later inverted the speakers to put the woofer close to the ceiling, and this was an improvement but not ideal.

--Tom Tyson

Hello Tom, I’m happy that you didn’t take any offense about comment regarding their appearance but I couldn’t help seeing them that way.

And certainly yes, I agree “to have the stand blend in with the wall to make it appear as if the speakers were “built-in”,  as they certainly do present a smooth and attractive transition.

If I may be so bold as to inquire about you seemingly thinning out your herd of AR speakers, might you have any LST’s in your collection for sale?

Best Regards, Frank Marsi

Have to share the link since these never seem to come up that often.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-Vintage-Pair-of-AR-LST-Studio-Speakers-NO-RESERVE-Acoustic-Research-/222217854704?hash=item33bd375ef0:g:kUYAAOSw-itXrpme

The picture showing the LST mounted high on the wall is impressive to say the least.  

Yes, I spotted those when they first listed.

Distance is the problem with shipping any big and heavy speaker though. For me it would be about a 8 hour drive and in actuality, I’m not in any big hurry. But, I can’t help but feel the greed-factor set in quickly just the same.

Ideally they should actually be shipped in wooden and well made crates as anything like these big AR’s and or anyother more modern costly big speakers should be treated as almost precious antiques.

I asked Tom T. because having a pair that were his or something of Ken K’s would be like having a special unique pair due to their original affiliation and status with the “AR” company.

FM

I find this to be a very interesting thread, thanx for the heads up Frank. Just have to think that these "one offs" shouldn't go over seas.

hmmmm.......

I don't own a pair still.....yet.....

hmmmm.....

Frank, to answer your question about my AR-LSTs, yes, I am thinking about selling them in the near future.  I've had such a large collection of AR speakers that the time has come to thin down the collection, and I have begun selling some AR-1s, AR-3s and AR-3as, etc.  I might sell the LSTs in the fall or winter, but I haven't decided at this point.  I stored the original grills and ordered a second set (the Norwood "white" linen) in the mid-70s to preserve the originals.  Note the Norwood "white" linen in the center.

AR-LST_Beige-vs.-White_Linen(4)_899_9976.JPG

The speakers are still 100% original with no modifications whatsoever, and they continue to work well.  

AR-LST_(02A).jpg 

AR-LST_636(03)_23Nov05.jpg

These AR-LSTs haven't been in regular use for several years and are stored in air-conditioned/humidity-controlled storage. 

--Tom Tyson

On August 20, 2016 at 8:43 PM, tysontom said:

Frank, to answer your question about my AR-LSTs, yes, I am thinking about selling them in the near future.  I've had such a large collection of AR speakers that the time has come to thin down the collection, and I have begun selling some AR-1s, AR-3s and AR-3as, etc.  I might sell the LSTs in the fall or winter, but I haven't decided at this point.  I stored the original grills and ordered a second set (the Norwood "white" linen) in the mid-70s to preserve the originals.  Note the Norwood "white" linen in the center.

AR-LST_Beige-vs.-White_Linen(4)_899_9976.JPG

The speakers are still 100% original with no modifications whatsoever, and they continue to work well.  

AR-LST_(02A).jpg 

AR-LST_636(03)_23Nov05.jpg

These AR-LSTs haven't been in regular use for several years and are stored in air-conditioned/humidity-controlled storage. 

--Tom Tyson

Dear Tom, please keep me posted as to when you may be ready.

We can talk price when you are of course.

The transportation is the key question here, and if you feel that I am a worthy successor.

The first two sets I do have had been moved around from Manhattan to Staten Island once by me in the rear seat of my 1973 Riviera in 1987. After they were on S.I. I was the only person who handled them. My third set I found in Flushing Queens area in 2010 and I picked them up myself in a little Taurus.

In 2011, I moved all three sets to New Jersey by myself  two at a time in the same small 1999 Ford Taurus. Wrapping them in a moving blanket placing one in the back seat, the other in the trunk.  Removing them, and then strapping one at a time to a wooden four wheel dolly one at a time is how I did it. And now here they all sit, safe and sound.  What's the expression? 'If you want something done right, do it yourself'.

Yet to be honest, I wouldn't have it any other way. In moving them, I was self-assured no damage would come about and none did. But, to ship them, that's a scary proposition. Perhaps with all main edges of the cabinets protected by heavy angled cardboard then, the three front baffle sides protected by 1/4 plywood and then completely wrapped in moving blankets and strapped to a strong oak palet or specially made crates which of course drives up their price is another consideration.

I did learn that when strapping them even when the cabinet edges are protected by cardboard, the veneer is so thin that any pressure on it will sometimes split or dislodge the veneer. In either case of course we're talking about using a shipping company, not Fed-Ex or UPS.

To complete my move to NJ three years ago. I purchased a relatively newish Ford Ranger and even rented a large box truck on one occasion. I wish I had it when I was moving those heavy speakers though as lifting them up and out of the small car's trunk was not good to my poor ailing back.

It's not so much their weight, it's their unwieldy shape and size.

FM

Archived