Allison Two's rescued

jayrosc

Got a pair of these yesterday. Just tested them by hooking them up with low volume. Unfortunately there's no sound coming from the tweeters on one of them. Can it be possible that BOTH were blown? I've got a pair of Fours that only had one blown. Seems like that one took the hit and the killing signal was stopped before it made it to the second one. Guess I'm hoping for something like a bad cap or an oxidized tone switch on the Two's, but I don't know yet.

24 minutes ago, jayrosc said:

Got a pair of these yesterday. Just tested them by hooking them up with low volume. Unfortunately there's no sound coming from the tweeters on one of them. Can it be possible that BOTH were blown? I've got a pair of Fours that only had one blown. Seems like that one took the hit and the killing signal was stopped before it made it to the second one. Guess I'm hoping for something like a bad cap or an oxidized tone switch on the Two's, but I don't know yet.

The Allison Two tweeters are series wired, so both stop working if one is out.

You could swap tweeters from the unit that works, but try that with only one to keep it simple being careful of those fragile leads (you have the brass connector model?)

it could be the slope switch on the back needs cleaning.

CRC or deoxit spray and back and forth MANY MANY times will clean it up and get it working.

the xovers were very high quality for their day and should be the very last thing to fool with at this point. Especially how they are secured to the cabinet.....that's a bear to get into.

Bill

5 hours ago, newandold said:

The Allison Two tweeters are series wired, so both stop working if one is out.

You could swap tweeters from the unit that works, but try that with only one to keep it simple being careful of those fragile leads (you have the brass connector model?)

it could be the slope switch on the back needs cleaning.

CRC or deoxit spray and back and forth MANY MANY times will clean it up and get it working.

the xovers were very high quality for their day and should be the very last thing to fool with at this point. Especially how they are secured to the cabinet.....that's a bear to get into.

Bill

I'm gonna try the spray method tomorrow morning. Looks like I've got to pull a driver in order to get the spray in there. Here's hoping for the best.

20 minutes ago, jayrosc said:

I'm gonna try the spray method tomorrow morning. Looks like I've got to pull a driver in order to get the spray in there. Here's hoping for the best.

That's the best way. I blow the switch clean from the tweeter opening out the slot that the switch moves thru the rear using compressed air for cleaning electronics (amazing the dirt that comes out) then the CRC.

Archived