KLH 5, should I?

VintageMan

I came across a nice set KLH 5 and I'm wondering if I should buy them?

I still need to actually see them.

For daily use I'm using AR3a's and my question is if these would be an nice addition to the AR2, AR4 and AR5 I currently own?

KLH are not so common here in The Netherlands.

Is the KLH 5 special enough?

Yes! Great speakers that will rival the 3a's IF you replace the caps and treat the surrounds with Roy's goo.

I also recommend stripping the varnish (or whatever it is) off the cabinets. It has turned dull and lifeless after all these years. Strip it off and either oil or lacquer and they will be beautiful. See this page: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=90209

And of course there's a lot here on CSP so do a search. I've restored one complete pair and rebuilt a few crossovers. I sort of regret selling mine, but there's just so much room in the house.

-Kent

Our friend Tom Tyson gives a very well thought-out comparison of the Fives here:

Here is a thread about recapping Fives with the PCB, includes parts list

-Kent

@JKent, thanks for the link, great reading!

I will see if I can get my hands on these as I do think they will be a great add-on to my AR3a's in my vintage set.

I will keep you all updated if any news comes along.

Thanks for all the thumbs-up reply's ^_^

Still need to convince mrs. VintageMan :lol:

I generally do most of my "critical" listening with AR speakers, but if I am having a group or party I pull out the KLH 5s. Personally I find they fit somewhere between the East Coast and West Coast supposed styles, quite accurate while not being particularly fatiguing.

Here is a link to my refurb, depending on vintage your XO board may be different.        KLH 5 refurb thread    

Look forward to hearing if you acquire these and how you proceed.

Grab them! Excellent speakers. Luckily, mine were recapped just prior to purchasing them, but I did need to reseal the surrounds. I have mine in our family room, 18 X 22 with 12 foot vaulted ceiling. They are positioned length wise, about 20 feet apart. Incredible sound stage, spacious airy sound, and the bass, deep and smooth and when cranked, you feel the air move in the room! 

I talked to the seller yesterday.

The seller has more KLH's and collects them.

As he never uses the KHL5's he now wants to sell hem.

There is someone before me that wants to buy them.

The surrounds have been done by someone I know so this is good news.

I'm second in line so I have to be patient :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, VintageMan said:

The surrounds have been done by someone I know so this is good news.

Maybe not. Original KLH Five surrounds are cloth. The only thing that should be done to them is a light treatment with Roy's butyl sealant.

-Kent

I hope you are offered the speakers so you can check them out, mysterious surrounds not withstanding.

I just restored my pair of KLH 5's.  The tweeters were not functioning due to dead caps, I replaced the caps and some of the resistors as well.  With advice from Roy I resealed the cloth surrounds.

These are now being used in place of a pair of unrestored AR 3a's.  The 3a's pots are in bad shape; also they benefited from a boost in presence from the Kenwood 500 tone controls.  Nonetheless, they have an undeniable real-ness to them.  In their place, the KLH's sound to me very balanced and neutral, with decent bass.  So far, they have sounded particularly good with jazz.  The first recording I listened to was Louis Armstrong's  W.C Handy tribute, and it sounded fantastic.  They are nice looking speakers and my wife loves them, so they have been a big success.

Good luck with your quest, if you do pick them up you are likely to have a good experience with them.

Archived