"Odd" Pair of AR91s

Stimpy

I saw a pair of AR91s on ebay.  Lot's of issues, but workable(?)

AR91 auction

Besides the obvious, the tweeters bother me more than the Pyle woofers.  Something just doesn't look correct with them?

The face plates look correct, but the dome itself looks wrong.  The dome is too big, and too big in the face plate opening.

The dome fills the whole opening.  On my 90s, there's a small but noticeable gap around the dome.  You don't see that here.

It makes me think the owner screwed the original face plates onto an incorrect tweeter, to pass it off as stock?

If I was closer, I might consider these for a project.  But I get the feeling that these might become money-hogs, to get them to a playable condition.

AR91 1 s-l1600.jpg

AR91 1 2 s-l1600.jpg

AR91 1 3 s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, Stimpy said:

Besides the obvious, the tweeters bother me more than the Pyle woofers.  Something just doesn't look correct with them?

The face plates look correct, but the dome itself looks wrong.  The dome is too big, and too big in the face plate opening.

The dome fills the whole opening.  On my 90s, there's a small but noticeable gap around the dome.  You don't see that here.

It makes me think the owner screwed the original face plates onto an incorrect tweeter, to pass it off as stock?

To my eyes, your concern regarding the tweeters (one replete with botched drilling/alignment attempt) is appropriate. The correct tweeters should be as depicted below:

AR_91_Tweeter_Ref_01.jpg

AR_91_Tweeter_Ref_02.jpg

AR_91.jpg

Robert_S

1 hour ago, Stimpy said:

If I was closer, I might consider these for a project.  But I get the feeling that these might become money-hogs, to get them to a playable condition.

Good eye ... I didn't see that. That would reduce their value considerably.

Seeing Robert's pictures helps too (Thanks).  The original 91 tweeter used 4 screws to mount the magnet assembly to the face plate.  The ebay tweeters have 3 (4 with the double hole, from sloppy drill skills), with the 4 original holes left empty.  So, definitely replacement tweeters butchered into these speakers.

Very nice catch with those tweeters, Stimpy. If the seller hadn't removed one of the foam surrounds to reveal the faceplate, I doubt that I would've even noticed.

Restoration would include a pair of tweeters, as well as woofers & trim rings, and hopefully, nothing's been done to the crossover.

Also, they just might have a faint bouquet of puddy tat....^_^

el_gato.JPG

Archived