What Dreams Are Made Of...........

frankmarsi

I could certainly get these but, I'm in saturation mode with speakers in general and already have 6 individual cabinets. I just need to restore them all.

I would consider this rare find actually historical!

So, I feel these are perfect for Owlsplace. These are  only 1,100 miles away and the 15 hour drive may do you some good. You could pretend that you're Maharis and Milner from 'Route 66'. You could be 'Buz'. And since certain things are legal in Colorado, you could get buzzed after you buy these. http://www.route66news.com/2007/10/15/a-chat-with-george-maharis/

Go get them you loving life in big-sky country sort of dude who wants to join a knitting class.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOUR-MINT-IN-BOX-ACOUSTIC-RESEARCH-AR-3A-SEQUENTIAL-SERIAL-NUMBER-SPEAKERS-L-K-/172302927991?hash=item281e0e0877:g:y94AAOSwgZ1XrT93

I paid just under $400, for my two brand new AR-3a’s in 1972. Yes, 1972, that would be in the last century.

Inflation says we must pay more today.

Inflation Calculator http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=400&year=1972

$400.00 in 1972 had the same buying power as $2,301.95 in 2016

I don't condone this but it is a fact, that is what's sad.

If I were 22 years old again today, I could never afford that kind of money, that's what is additionally sad for the kids of today.

However generally speaking, kids today aren't into 'Hi-Fi' as much these days as my generation was and that too is sad.

Currently even more sad is that in general the population isn't into music listening as much as my generation was then either, and if a few are, it's done via earplugs or phones and certainly not the sort of quality I demanded back then nor live with today. MP3 files are not to me good enough quality, I feel most would agree.  In a common man's system, neither is 'CD' compared to a great vinyl set-up.

Another side-step sort of speak, is that one must be careful with certain vinyl as it may have been made from a CD or digital file and not a master tape like years ago. I recently bought a few new rock albums and they sound awful as I attribute they may have been made in this fashion. So, one must be leery even in the vinyl domain. Suffice it say, most of my 6500+ vinyl discs in my record collection are older recordings and don't suffer from such an inadequacy.

Side story here: In 1985 my oldest sister (a school teacher) came to me and told me that she was approached by her boss, the principal. The principal suggested that my sister have less emphasis on history and music in her daily lesson-plan and more emphasis on the children learning to get along better with others.

My sister politely refused and the principal walked away without getting agreement to her point.

This is the world we live in and today's 'dummying-down' is all part of what has occurred in our culture. Need proof, ask most any kid today a question about history.

History and music are pivotal for a well-rounded education and for the world to be a better place, period.

2 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

History and music are pivotal for a well-rounded education and for the world to be a better place, period.

Agreed Frank ... no knit picking from me.

And four more of these would definitely keep me preoccupied with remodeling my living space instead of enjoying the "Big Sky" country which I am more prone to do during this time of the year.

Besides that, my distant cousin is going to need all the help he can get running for VP with Johnson ... way more than I can give them.

Roger

Wait a minute here now! Shut-da front door!

Did I just have an out-of-body experience and was I moved into the past?

Your cousin is Hubert Humphrey? I thought your cousin was named "Tuesday"?   I mean both sides of the civil war and all that stuff.

'Somebody shake me, wake me when it's over'*  * "Four Tops", yeah!

Hold-on here now, I know the elevation in Reno is 4500 feet above sea-level but are you tripping or lacking oxygen?

Don't be insulted with my comment as back in 1968 if you were asked if you were tripping, it was a good thing.

Also, I was referring to knitting not nit-picking, you know stitch one, loop two, knot three.

In 'AR speaker' speak, this new acquisition is going to be good for you. Why am I so sure you'll be flooding these pages with more helpful hints and advice than "Betty Crocker" had in her award winning cook book?

I hear that you were actually working on a new 'how to' AR refurbishing book. I also heard that the ending of the book deals with your personal set-back about giving up your AR-5's because in the last chapter you candidly admit that 12 inch bass is more fun than 10 inch bass.

Wait a minute, maybe I am trip-pin'?

18 hours ago, DavidR said:

I wish Bill was the presidential candidate for the Libertarian Party

It is a little late in life for him ... good to see he is still willing to pitch in though ... not a wasted vote since I find myself unable/unwilling to vote for the other candidates so I wouldn't have voted anyway.

18 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

I also heard that the ending of the book deals with your personal set-back about giving up your AR-5's because in the last chapter you candidly admit that 12 inch bass is more fun than 10 inch bass.

Last chapter is correct -- no book deals -- just a little added spice at the end of life as my taste buds begin to fail ;)

Roger

21 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

I paid just under $400, for my two brand new AR-3a’s in 1972. Yes, 1972, that would be in the last century.

Inflation Calculator http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=400&year=1972

If I were 22 years old again today, I could never afford that kind of money, that's what is additionally sad for the kids of today.

However generally speaking, kids today aren't into 'Hi-Fi' as much these days as my generation was and that too is sad.

Currently even more sad is that in general the population isn't into music listening as much as my generation was then either, and if a few are, it's done via earplugs or phones and certainly not the sort of quality I demanded back then nor live with today. MP3 files are not to me good enough quality, I feel most would agree.  In a common man's system, neither is 'CD' compared to a great vinyl set-up.

Another side-step sort of speak, is that one must be careful with certain vinyl as it may have been made from a CD or digital file and not a master tape like years ago. I recently bought a few new rock albums and they sound awful as I attribute they may have been made in this fashion. So, one must be leery even in the vinyl domain. Suffice it say, most of my 6500+ vinyl discs in my record collection are older recordings and don't suffer from such an inadequacy.

Side story here: In 1985 my oldest sister (a school teacher) came to me and told me that she was approached by her boss, the principal. The principal suggested that my sister have less emphasis on history and music in her daily lesson-plan and more emphasis on the children learning to get along better with others.

My sister politely refused and the principal walked away without getting agreement to her point.

This is the world we live in and today's 'dummying-down' is all part of what has occurred in our culture. Need proof, ask most any kid today a question about history.

I paid $500 for my pair in late 1969.  Guess I got screwed but it's taken me almost 50 years to find out! 

21 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

I paid $500 for my pair in late 1969.  Guess I got screwed but it's taken me almost 50 years to find out! 

On August 12, 2016 at 10:47 AM, frankmarsi said:

I could certainly get these but, I'm in saturation mode with speakers in general and already have 6 individual cabinets. I just need to restore them all.

I would consider this rare find actually historical!

So, I feel these are perfect for Owlsplace. These are  only 1,100 miles away and the 15 hour drive may do you some good. You could pretend that you're Maharis and Milner from 'Route 66'. You could be 'Buz'. And since certain things are legal in Colorado, you could get buzzed after you buy these. http://www.route66news.com/2007/10/15/a-chat-with-george-maharis/

Go get them you loving life in big-sky country sort of dude who wants to join a knitting class.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOUR-MINT-IN-BOX-ACOUSTIC-RESEARCH-AR-3A-SEQUENTIAL-SERIAL-NUMBER-SPEAKERS-L-K-/172302927991?hash=item281e0e0877:g:y94AAOSwgZ1XrT93

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

If the listing were for a pair at a time with a lower starting bid they would go.

Bet the seller has had more than one request to sell 2 rather than 4

Bill

I find the white cardboard speaker boxes interesting. Mine were plain tan cardboard and I believe they had black lettering.  They got wet in storage years ago and had to be thrown out.

der

Archived