Inherited AR-4x speakers. How much do I rebuild?

Roland

Hello

I have inherited a pair of AR-4x that have been in the family for years and I am interested in rebuilding. I am a total speaker neophyte. They sound a bit flat, that is, not much sparkle or depth and when the volume is turned way up on my 110 Watt/channel receiver they do distort. Is it a given that I must change the tweeter and woofer?

Attaching photos. Both speakers woofer and tweeter seems to be in the same condition.

Thanks for any advice.

ar-4x.jpg

Hey Roland, welcome to the CSP forum. This is a great first post, except that you located it in the incorrect section - - this would be better suited for the Acoustic Research portion of this site. Nonetheless, your speakers look totally original and possibly have never been opened or received any sort of maintenance in the past. This might very well explain the "flat" sound you describe, which might indicate that the capacitors require replacement or the tweeter controls (known as potentiometers, or "pots") require cleaning or replacement. You are basically not hearing the tweeters. As long as you can confirm that all drivers (both tweeters, both woofers) are operational, there is no need to replace them. Most likely, the bulk of the restoration work is inside the cabinet, and there are many, many threads here about the AR-4x.

I have had the same pair of AR-4x for 45 years, and my pair exhibited similar unflattering performance before I learned how to restore them with help from the generous members on this site. It is very satisfying work, and my speakers sound as good as new once again! :) 

Hi Roland, as others have said unlikely you will need any new drivers. Plenty of guidance here to restore these to new condition. Intrigued by the pattern of what I assume to be mold on the cone of the woofer. What do the grilles look like?

Archived