Need some advise

emachos

I have a pair of first generation AR3as in the unfinished pine cabinets, which someone finished, with the woofers that have the alnico magnets and the partial double layer paper cones and the cloth impregnated rubber surrounds that are still in tack.  I blew the voice coil on one of the woofers by a faulty amplifier.  Apparently the woofer rebuild kits that are available that have a replacement voice coil come with everything; voice coil, new paper cone and surround.  Is it to my advantage to try to keep the old speaker cone and surround and just replace the voice coil?  Can the voice coil be replaced without removing the old cone and surround?  If that can’t be done then I will need to do both woofers so they match.  If in the future I decide to sell these speakers, are they worth more with the old double layer cone and surround with are not replaceable?

I would make every attempt to repair with a new voice coil but original cone and surround.  I'd contact resident expert RoyC to see if that's something he can do, or Bill at

Millersound, and tell him you want to try have a new voice coil put in the woofer while retaining the original cone and surround if possible, but I'd definitely try keep the original cone, even if it needs to be re-done with a foam surround...

If you're good with glue and an X-Acto knife then there's a chance you could fix it yourself;

I have pulled a 12" woofer out of the fire using Klaus's method. You just need to follow instructions on this board for hinging the dust-cap so it can be re-glued afterwards.

1 hour ago, TimmyTonga said:

If you're good with glue and an X-Acto knife then there's a chance you could fix it yourself;

I have pulled a 12" woofer out of the fire using Klaus's method. You just need to follow instructions on this board for hinging the dust-cap so it can be re-glued afterwards.

as long as the voice coil doesn't have an open or short...

On 8/9/2016 at 8:21 AM, michiganpat said:

I would make every attempt to repair with a new voice coil but original cone and surround.  I'd contact resident expert RoyC to see if that's something he can do, or Bill at

Millersound, and tell him you want to try have a new voice coil put in the woofer while retaining the original cone and surround if possible, but I'd definitely try keep the original cone, even if it needs to be re-done with a foam surround...

Thanks, Mitch.  I'll do that.

On 8/9/2016 at 8:21 AM, michiganpat said:

How do I contact Roy C or Bill?  Cant find a member list on this site to find them.  You like Mopars I see.  Have any?

Archived