Early Model Six's

DavidDru

I went and picked up a pair of mismatched Model Six's the other day off Craigs List for $40.  They looked beat up but I figured for $40...

One is the 12 ply blonde woof that was apparently installed in a cabinets or shelf system of some sort because teh frame area and the top have been painted white.  it has a very low serial number of 2568 so I am guessing first year. ?

The other is slightly larger and has a walnut finish with serial number 3818 so also likely first year. 

Initially I could figure out the size difference but upon closer inspection it appears the walnut was an add-on 1/4" veneer over the 6 ply.  There are small screws around the inside of the front add-on frame that make it look finished and similar to the AR3.  Weird. Do you guys think this was done aftermarket or was KLH doing this kinda thing very early on?

I am getting a reduced output from the blonde unfortunately.  I would imagine these have the PIO caps.  How often do the toggle switches cause issues?

0804160723_resized.jpg

0804160723a_resized.jpg

0804160723b_resized.jpg

0804160724_resized.jpg

0804160724a_resized.jpg

0804160724b_resized.jpg

0804160724c_resized.jpg

0804160724d_resized.jpg

Pretty sure that's not factory plywood/veneer.

I don't recall anyone having trouble with switches.

Are you attempting to collect every model of KLH? :-)

7 hours ago, dxho said:

Pretty sure that's not factory plywood/veneer.

I don't recall anyone having trouble with switches.

Are you attempting to collect every model of KLH? :-)

As you can see in the photos, that veneer job is very well done. It's a plywood veneer and unfortunately it is coming apart in a few areas where the top layer of it is gone or coming off.  Including the the frame where the blue tape is.

Collecting all models?  Starting to feel that way huh?.  I just grab whatever comes along,   The older stuff anyway.  Have 32, 24, 17, 23, 6, 5 thus far.  not much $ invested.  Maybe $240. 

Really wanting the Model 28.  Have the stands for them already.  Not sure if I will do the lower number models.

interesting. If it was not factory, someone did do a pretty nice job with the veneer. I have seen that screw arrangement somewhere, just not sure where. Gotta wonder if maybe the screws were a repair (also nicely done) somewhere in it's life. Is it only that one bottom edge David? All sorts of thoughts about stripping and reworking what is probably a nice thick high quality veneer.

On the switches, I have seen references to them being problematic on 5's and 23's only, which are not toggles. Easily dosed with deoxit anyways I presume.

I can think of worse things to collect.

Yeah, for $40 I figure it would be worthy, even though it will be quite a bit of work.

The screws are all along each inside edge and at a very formal purposeful spacing pattern.  The veneer work was very well done, but is unfortunately now coming apart.

Yes, the math works to favor that theory with 1/4" new ply veneer.

I just want to make sure this is not a factory/KLH doing before I un-do it.  These are probably first year early production and i guess I just want to make sure they weren't doing this early on as their solution to cabinet finish options.  I would doubt it but you never know when early like this what they may have done and changed quickly.  The brochure show 3 Wanut options available.  Walnut, Oiled Walnut, and unfinished walnut.

On 8/8/2016 at 9:10 AM, DavidDru said:

As you can see in the photos, that veneer job is very well done. It's a plywood veneer and unfortunately it is coming apart in a few areas where the top layer of it is gone or coming off.  Including the the frame where the blue tape is.

Collecting all models?  Starting to feel that way huh?.  I just grab whatever comes along,   The older stuff anyway.  Have 32, 24, 17, 23, 6, 5 thus far.  not much $ invested.  Maybe $240. 

Really wanting the Model 28.  Have the stands for them already.  Not sure if I will do the lower number models.

I specifically went for the low numbers, partly because they were so scarce and
partly because I wanted to run them next to AR3as (my reference system). I've
got Ones, Fours, and two pair of Seventeens.

The Ones came with an oversized veneered panel on the top that looked factory
but also had black paint on the sides. Decidedly not original. Fun fact: the earliest 
early models (One through Four) came with removable grilles and drivers (at
least the woofers. I haven't seen corresponding tweeters).

Archived