Early AR-5 pair in So. Cal.

owlsplace

There is an early pair of AR-5's up on the auction site in Fallbrook, CA. They look like they are from the first months production as serial numbers are under 500. I would be tempted if my cash flow wasn't dried up at the moment.

Cabs look a little distressed. Also interesting to note the front and back panels appear to be AR's version of MDF rather than plywood. The dust caps on the woofers do not appear to be domed shaped but the later flat versions. Were they replaced or did AR mix them up from the start?

Item #: 371702253845

AR-5.20160804.01.jpg

Roger

Hello Roger. Found these AR 5 here in Rome , for 400 euros . They seems in very nice conditions , and all original, perhaps first version? I 've heard some people prefers AR 5 over 3a because of its less " heavy " bass . Opinions? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Those 5's look like they have the early woofer with domed dust cap and cabinets in very nice condition.

I think the woofer/midrange interface was cleaner sounding on the 5's but you lose the 3's famous bass so it is a trade off. If you have close neighbors that don't like your music the 5's would be a better choice perhaps.

Roger

Archived