Go ahead men, I'm the first bidder.........

frankmarsi

Beautiful! 

Does anyone think they could build the X-overs for me?

Oh yeah, what about dem-der  auto-transformers?  I would need 'em too.

The seller wrote "All the Acoustic Research AR drivers, crossover plan and partial components will be listed in a separate auction. " so you should be able to buy the xo and xformers, no? Good luck!

-Kent

3 hours ago, JKent said:

Beautiful! 

Does anyone think they could build the X-overs for me?

Oh yeah, what about dem-der  auto-transformers?  I would need 'em too.

The seller wrote "All the Acoustic Research AR drivers, crossover plan and partial components will be listed in a separate auction. " so you should be able to buy the xo and xformers, no? Good luck!

-Kent

He has a pair of mids listed ... I'm guessing they are variations of the 3a drivers made by Tannoy?

Good luck, Frank. Those are really nice looking cabinets. You can sacrifice one of your sets for the internals if necessary.

Roger

Yeah, them certainly be some very nice-looking and well-built cabinets, but I was curious about the driver attachment points. Tweeters look fine with three T-nuts, but mids do not appear to have a similar fastener, and unlike the 12" AR woofer (8 machine screws), these cabs show only six points of attachment for the woofers.

These were the later ‘Amati’s’ and I believe they used ‘Dynaudio’ drivers?

Early production cabinets used AR drivers. Later on in production the change was implemented to the more expensive drivers and AR was out of the picture.

In 1990 my foto studio was located on B’way and directly across the street from ‘Ster_o Exchange’.

They had a pair of the earlier AR driver equipped Amatis and the asking price was $8500.

The cabinets were pretty much a carbon copy of the AR-LST except instead of a linen grill cloth, a black screen door screening was used.

Since my LSTs were without any grills, I precisely cut black screen door screening to emulate what I had seen and henceforth mine were now protected and looked just like the ones I had seen at the store. Except the factory issues were tighter and neater looking of course.

Later that week  and I don’t recall how I got his phone number, called Mark L. himself and asked if he could sell me some tweeters. He politely told me that his AR made tweeters were priced at $90. each and suggested I call AR instead. I called AR and they charged me $40. each. I stupidly only ordered only two as money went to more important things at the time.

FM

P.S. I've never seen these before but, would love to have them. http://m.review33.com/forum_msg.php?db=1&topic=21030807162539&start=1185&sort=&number=

I don’t know why I find a number of sites with fotos that show LSTs set in the middle of the room.

As most would attest to as I do is that LSTs sound their best up against the front wall.

I once tried mid room or 1/3 in the room and the sound was just not as big or impressive as when mounted almost directly against the front wall.

The steel stands I use to support my double stacked LSTs would also easily hold a triple-stack but, to me I sort of feel they would look precarious and might be visually overwhelming.

But, on the other hand I have a devilish feeling in me that one day I might just try it.

My point was that if using AR woofers to fit-out these cabinets, there will surely be some minor surgery involved. Perhaps you have the later Dynaudio drivers, though, in which case, they will fit like the attached pic.

cello amati.jpg

8 hours ago, ar_pro said:

Oh, man...I love those cabinets.

Are those Minh's?

Does Minh live in the "Big Apple?" These are the current auction offerings out of Brooklyn from seller "arcelloallison" ... trying to figure out the corner construction as they are rounded:

Amati.2016.08.01.03.jpgAmati.2016.08.01.02.jpg

Roger

8-8-16

I’m pretty much confused by this whole offer of Cello Amati/AR speakers.

Since I truly do not know the seller, all I can do is express my own information.

If I’m not mistaken, about a year or so ago these empty cabinets were offered, whether they sold or not I don’t know or even from the same seller.

That is where the oddity becomes even greater, the high range drivers are actually tweeters that were used in the AR-303 but, in this case using mounting plates. To my knowledge, “M.L.” didn’t offer those tweeters in the Amati’s.

The midrange drivers look like AR mids but without any front mesh grills, while appearing to be similar to what was offered by some online suppliers indicating they could be the Tongen/ABTech models.

I realize these may be later model mids but, I don’t see any ‘AR’ insignia on their faces.

In regards, to an alleged former owner opting for AR drivers instead of Dynaudio drivers seems a bit odd also as they were first offered without drivers installed and now have them installed. 

On the other hand, they still are an attractive possible purchase, if only I knew how they sound. The seller is more than 3 hours away, so I’m not keen about taking a long drive just to hear them unless more information was available.

If site member “mluong303” were here, I’m sure we’d all have definitive answers as he seemed to be a warehouse of information however, he’s been MIA for a while.

If there is another member here who could enlighten me, that would be helpful.

I've emailed the seller and awaiting a response.

FM

Seller just got back to me with a question.

He asked "what would I like to know" and that the person he got them from 'started the project three years ago".

To me that's not very forth coming.

If I was offering something for more than $100., I'd be telling the potential new owner without hesitation anything I could.

This makes me wonder even more. I'll email I'm back now and ask things like what X-over frequencies were used, what about the 303 tweeters.

Whose 'caps' were used, etc. 

Personally, how much could one ask, the seller should tell all he knows.

I did some brief research, the company is seemingly a reputable one.

It's called audio classics and they've been on the net for quite some time. This is all the more reason why I expect more details from them.

They also have a pair of AR-18's for $79.00 for those of you interested.

16 minutes ago, frankmarsi said:

I did some brief research, the company is seemingly a reputable one.

It's called audio classics and they've been on the net for quite some time. This is all the more reason why I expect more details from them.

They also have a pair of AR-18's for $79.00 for those of you interested.

They have a pair of AR9's also but back to the 303 tweeters on the other sale he has. I would like to see the crossover for that. Much different animal to go with the mids and woofer. But....it does have my curiosity......

I bought a nice walnut cabinet for my MAC4100 from them a few years ago. As others have said they are well-established and reputable.

-Kent

8-9-16

If it means anything to anyone here?

Owlsplace, those empty Amati cabinets did sell for $102.

Bidding is active for those home made LST/Amati’s.

I’m starting to wonder, ‘he who hesitates’…………….

On the other hand, I can’t collect everything that crosses the view my eyes see.

Granted, I believe that I'm pretty stable but, I'm starting to feel more neurotic than I actually may be.

Perhaps knitting or stamp collecting might be better for the psyche?             

Where's "Minh"?

You know I bought a pair of AR-303 tweeters from him in 2004 for $60.

I was at my wits end trying to rebuild my LST's and reaching for anything I could use for tweeters.

We had met on 34th. St.  and Third Ave. for the exchange, I haven't heard from him since.

I have a feeling he either moved out of Manhattan, or has moved on to another brand of speakers?

13 minutes ago, frankmarsi said:

Owlsplace, those empty Amati cabinets did sell for $102....

Perhaps knitting or stamp collecting might be better for the psyche?                       

Actually, the reserve price wasn't met ... I would rather give those away before selling them for a hundred bucks!

cello.amati.png

Exhausting your desires is a good thing, Frank, but knitting?

Roger

On 8/9/2016 at 10:47 AM, owlsplace said:

Actually, the reserve price wasn't met ... I would rather give those away before selling them for a hundred bucks!

cello.amati.png

Exhausting your desires is a good thing, Frank, but knitting?

Roger

O.K. so I'm wrong once more.

This sort of thing can happen when under pressure. We do live in a uncertain world.

Maybe I'll get back to restoring old Buick Rivieras and be done with this speaker craziness?

It may all be a aliment brought about with the advent of the internet?

I do find the more I sit in front of this screen, the less I'm actually listening to music.

Archived