AR 3a "Improved"

Guest danamc

Has anyone had any expeience or knowledge of the AR3a "Improved" speaker? A friend has a beautiful teak pair of these speakers he is selling. Any help would be appreciated!

>Has anyone had any expeience or knowledge of the AR3a

>"Improved" speaker? A friend has a beautiful teak pair of

>these speakers he is selling. Any help would be appreciated!

The AR-3a Improved was a European-export-version only, assembled in England and Holland, and it incorporated some improvements to the original AR-3a that were eventually put in the AR-11 and AR-10Pi over here. The biggest difference in the AR-3a Improved and the AR-3a was the cabinet, as the "Improved" used a slimmer cabinet molding than the original version which improved the appearance and reduced diffraction. The "Improved" speaker had a more elegant, modern look than the original, wide-molding AR-3a. The drivers were the same as the US version, but I think switches were used instead of level controls, much like the AR-11. Someone else might help me on the switch thing, but I think that is correct. The rear of the cabinets had a beige-colored (almost pink) paint treatment that covered the bare MDF rear panel. The grill panels used the same linen, but the grills were attached with Velcro (some of the last versions of the US-version AR-3a were attached this way as well) and the logo had "AR-3a Improved" inscribed on it.

--Tom Tyson

• 5 months later...

>>Has anyone had any expeience or knowledge of the AR3a

>>"Improved" speaker? A friend has a beautiful teak pair of

>>these speakers he is selling. Any help would be appreciated!

>

>The AR-3a Improved was a European-export-version only,

>assembled in England and Holland, and it incorporated some

>improvements to the original AR-3a that were eventually put in

>the AR-11 and AR-10Pi over here. The biggest difference in

>the AR-3a Improved and the AR-3a was the cabinet, as the

>"Improved" used a slimmer cabinet molding than the original

>version which improved the appearance and reduced diffraction.

> The "Improved" speaker had a more elegant, modern look than

>the original, wide-molding AR-3a. The drivers were the same

>as the US version, but I think switches were used instead of

>level controls, much like the AR-11. Someone else might help

>me on the switch thing, but I think that is correct. The rear

>of the cabinets had a beige-colored (almost pink) paint

>treatment that covered the bare MDF rear panel. The grill

>panels used the same linen, but the grills were attached with

>Velcro (some of the last versions of the US-version AR-3a were

>attached this way as well) and the logo had "AR-3a Improved"

>inscribed on it.

>

>--Tom Tyson

Hi there

I have a hand drawn schematic of the AR3a improves wiring diagram packed up at the moment but I will be posting it in a few months when I unpack. Have a great day.

Guest dogmeninreno

>Has anyone had any expeience or knowledge of the AR3a

>"Improved" speaker? A friend has a beautiful teak pair of

>these speakers he is selling. Any help would be appreciated!

I have a set of these AR3a improved Refoamed and beautiful that I will sell. They are stored now and we are moving. dald@sbcglobal.net I also have 2 sets of AR90's and a set of AR3a's with the stands. Dale

Guest dogmeninreno

>>They are stored now and we are moving<

>

>Staying in the high shipping-cost mountains?

>

>Bret

I guess I don't understand the question? Dale

• 2 years later...
Guest classicroy

I wasn't able to retrieve the schematic of the ar 3a improved version though am aware the difference on the parts used inside as opposed to the ar 3a . i will be posting a website solely for information on these. There were 3 types of these speakers , made in USA , made for Asia and the one originating in Europe. the AR 3A improved was made in Europe, Uk . Here are pics for references to other afficionados.

One of the pics from another collector, Mr. Minh who owns the Ar3A Limited, indeed shared the same crossover as the 3A improved.

2331.txt

2332.txt

2333.txt

post-102527-1181678810.jpg

post-3-1181678810.jpg

post-3-1181678811.jpg

The 3a Improved did not share the same crossover with the (much) later 3a Limited. The Limited crossover was on a printed circuit board, used 8 ohm l-pads for level controls, and had a number of different components.

The AR-3a Limited cabinet was a vinyl clad clone of the original U.S. 3a cabinet as seen in your photo, and was sold primarily in Asia many years (around 1990) after the last AR-3a or AR-3a Improved was manufactured.

Attached is photo of a European AR-3a circa 1973. The same cabinet was used for the AR-3a Improved.

Roy

post-101150-1181691917.jpg

I should mention that the European style 3a cabinet seen in my photo above is sitting on a very nice walnut stand built by our own John O'Hanlon :-). I am using the European style 3a cabinet as part of a project we've been collaborating on, utilizing the later 3a Limited crossover modified for use with the current AB Tech replacement tweeter. We are awaiting Ken Kantor's input before finalizing the tweeter circuit.

The original European AR-3a cabinet utilized the original 3a crossover and drivers. The crossover was later modified in the mid-'70's, along with the replacement of the dreaded pots with switches. At that point "Improved" was added to the back label and grille badges.

There are likely some things still to be learned about the ins and outs of the "Improved" version of the European AR-3a. It appeared on the scene close to the time of the U.S. introduction of the AR-11.

Roy

• 3 years later...

I should mention that the European style 3a cabinet seen in my photo above is sitting on a very nice walnut stand built by our own John O'Hanlon :-). I am using the European style 3a cabinet as part of a project we've been collaborating on, utilizing the later 3a Limited crossover modified for use with the current AB Tech replacement tweeter. We are awaiting Ken Kantor's input before finalizing the tweeter circuit.

The original European AR-3a cabinet utilized the original 3a crossover and drivers. The crossover was later modified in the mid-'70's, along with the replacement of the dreaded pots with switches. At that point "Improved" was added to the back label and grille badges.

There are likely some things still to be learned about the ins and outs of the "Improved" version of the European AR-3a. It appeared on the scene close to the time of the U.S. introduction of the AR-11.

Roy

Hi there

I had one opportunity to listen to a work mates AR-3A Improved speaker system around the mid/late '70's, likely '78.

With my having owned my AR-3A's for about 5 years, I enjoyed listening to the short, but nice, AR-3A Improved listening session.

I do not remember what the driving equipment was, we did not change any settings as well.

Just like my AR-6 single demonstration, an enjoyable listening experience, to be sure.

My brother's blueprint of the AR-3A Improved, provided by Roy Allison, was thrown in a dumpster, in error.

Archived