These 4xas....

TimmyTonga

Some later 4xa's were fitted with the 8" universal woofer with foam surround, but that cloth surround woofer with vented dust cap is most definitely an original driver, as is the tweeter you have shown. Those are gorgeous, and appear to be in fantastic condition - - - we do not see the teak cabinets often in the USA, and that lighter tone wood looks terrific, as do the grilles and badges. Do those specimens have the switch or pot control for the tweeter output? A few varieties of 4xa shown in attached images, including last one with foam woofer (solid flat duct cap) and faux vinyl cabinet. 

AR-4xa variations.jpg

AR-4xa pics.jpg

4xa vinyl.jpg

Thanks to you all for your responses. I have the three-position switches on the tweeter, and they seem to be fully operational as far as my ears can tell.

I have never seen cloth surrounds before, and didn't really believe that this is what they were, as the serial number suggested a rather late manufacturing date. They are sticky, and if I didn't know better I would say they were covered in butyl rubber. As you can see, adhesive was not in short supply at the factory that day.

Any advice on how to 'service' the woofer surround, if indeed there is anything routine to be done? They both work fine, and I was intending to change the caps, but not much else. I haven't been inside yet....

They sound remarkably different to my AR-7s......

4 minutes ago, TimmyTonga said:

They sound remarkably different to my AR-7s......

I have a pair of 7s and I'm not surprised you hear a large difference.
The 4 uses more crossover components and rolls down the top end of the woofer response earlier than in the 7, which runs the woofer 'open'.
Mids on the 4 should be more neutral.

Archived