Salvage this ar-5 cone? Replace coil?

Chebu70

Hey folks been a while - preoccupied with kids and all (two and through... hopefully).  Finally getting back to the ARs and removed the cone / spider to find that the coil windings had partially come apart in the magnet.  I found a few threads with some discussion on options for replacement but didn't see much on results.  Apologies if I just missed it.  

Chances these can be rewound? I am able to reinstall them but they don't lay clean.  If I was able to, it's clear I would need a glue of some sort along the way to hold in place and keep them flat. 

Otherwise, I know I could recone but I'm trying to preserve as much of the original as possible.  If winding is not an option, can you just replace the coil?  

What are best currently available parts?  Reading other threads, looks like John at M_sound closed up shop, which is where I ordered refoam kits previously.

- Sean

open?id=0B9voZJCol-QrTjJKOG9MUXZPNFU

open?id=0B9voZJCol-QreWRCb0dwSnFvNXM

5 hours ago, Chebu70 said:

What are best currently available parts?

Sean,

AR-5 and/or 2ax woofers are readily available on the auction site for less than the cost or a recone job -- ceramic or alnico, either one.  The current best foam for this woofer is the Boston 10-inch FF or filleted foam.

Roger

3 hours ago, DavidR said:

Hi Chebu70,

How did you go about removing the spider w/o ruining the cone or spider?

David, I used MEK with a syringe a lot of ventilation and a respirator to "wet" the edge of the spider.  I worked a razor blade among the edge of the spider and used just a touch of pressure with a sharp wide screwdriver and, to my surprise, it popped right off.

Thanks for the replies folks!  I'm going to attempt the repair and take pics along the way.  

Any thoughts on what glue I should use to attach the wire back to the former?

And speaking of pics, I had some trouble attaching pictures from my phone due to file size.  How are folks getting around that?

- sean

11 hours ago, Chebu70 said:

Thanks for the replies folks!  I'm going to attempt the repair and take pics along the way.  

Any thoughts on what glue I should use to attach the wire back to the former?

And speaking of pics, I had some trouble attaching pictures from my phone due to file size.  How are folks getting around that?

- sean

Sounds like fun, at least one person on youtube uses epoxy. I could imagine using thinned lacquer also.

Roger

14 hours ago, Chebu70 said:

- sean

I use a freeware photo editing program, called Irfanview.  Download it (32 and 64 bit Windows versions), and install it, then download all of it's plug-in's, and install those.  One of the plug-in's allows you to compress the picture for the Web (File - Save for Web option).  You can also easily resize your images too.  I typically stick to 800x600.  Once compressed, you should have no trouble attaching your pictures, from your PC.  It works great. 

Irfanview

Archived