Mirage 260 re-foam

A friend asked me to re-foam these speakers. I was not familiar with them but they turned out to be pretty nice little 2-way ported speakers. Braced cabinets covered in black wood-grain vinyl. The tweeter is a Danish-built Vifa D19TD-05. The 6.5" woofer just has the Mirage part number and "Made in Canada". I did not change the xo caps: 10uF and 6.8uF. They tested OK.

Checked a couple of suppliers for the surrounds but Roy suggested 6.5" Infinity surrounds that he's had a lot of success with. The originals were the "filled fillet" style but the Infinity foams seemed like a better fit.

I like to use clamps. And shims. I cut and "hinged" the original porous cloth dust caps and re-used them.

After everything had dried I fired them up. Nice sounding speakers!

-Kent

07 08 16_0596.JPG

07 13 16_0633.JPG

07 13 16_0634.JPG

07 12 16_0609.JPG

07 17 16_0647.JPG

Yes, nice work, as usual. Couple of questions:

* are those snap-on trim rings concealing the woofer screws?

* was the woofer originally sealed to baffle with mortite or foam ring?

* did the foam not fit well when situated under the outer cone lip?

Hi ra.ra.

• The rings are foam, glued on to the gasket
  • Nope. Just a little adhesive. These are ported, so the drivers don't have to be sealed.
  • I never tried putting it under. The originals were over.

Thx. Re: foam placement, I must've mis-read the original pic, thought it went under. Re: sealer and port, my thought exactly, it just looks like there's substantial gunk on the underside of woofer flange.

Never heard of these speakers. Nice little project. 

14 minutes ago, ra.ra said:

Never heard of these speakers.

Most people haven't. Generally speaking, Canadian speakers are excellent. Think I read once that the Canadian government subsidized speaker research. Anyway, if you're skulking about garage sales and thrift shops and spot some Canadian Hi-Fi it will usually be a good choice. I found some Paradigm speakers in the Sal once for about $10. They made a nice gift for my cousin-in-law.

Caveat: I mentioned to my tech that "all Canadian hi-fi is good" and he asked whether I'd heard of Electrohome. Apparently they took a bunch of out-of-work lumberjacks and tried to turn them into electronics techs. 

-Kent

Archived