Parts Express is hosting Midwest Audio on July 9th.

lakecat

Headed down Friday as it starts around 8:00 Saturday. Meeting a guy there to pick up some AR3 drivers I need and then head over to another guy's house to listen to a tube system that he says will melt the skin off my body....lol. 

Anyone here going? Will be at a booth with these guys Saturday.

I didn't see ya there Larry....did ya make it? A great experience for me going for the first time. People were drooling over the ADS's and got them sold. I ended up with two pairs of AR3 woofers and two pairs of tweeters at great prices. Lots of vintage eq. for sale and the day was beautiful weather wise.

I went over Friday to the guys house with the magic sound system....and it simply was incredible. He had two 2 watt tube monoblocks with an equalizer hooked to two Bang & Olufsen speakers w/ a small sub-woofer in corner. Room treatments and two years of experimenting got him this room that I can only describe as a sound dream room. I have not heard anything like it...ever. Total investment from him?....less than two hundred dollars. He told me has had people over with fifty thousand dollar systems and after hearing his system......told him they were too embarrassed to have him over to hear theirs....lol. He told me investing in sound treatments and cabling is soooo important to sound. He had two 4' foot tall columns around six inch in diameter in back corners filled with sand and other stuff that he called bass asorbers.

As an experiment once, he told me he took five Radio Shack Minimus 7's and set them up in this room. He played them to several audiophiles in this setting and they refused to believe the sound came from those speakers!....lol....looking for hidden speakers and holes in walls and such.

All I know is that I didn't leave his house....or this room until 12:30 in morning....and had to drive thirty minutes back to hotel....and had to get up at 6:00 the next morning.....and didn't care one single bit!

My son Kevin and I were there from 8:00 -10:30 AM. Talked to lots of people. Don't know How I missed you. Wound up with a set of really clean KLH 17's. Met a guy from the south side of Indy who invited me to join a local group of enthusiasts. Saw some stuff I had never seen before. Good Saturday morning trip and did some catching up with my youngest son.

IMG_0413_zpsiytrgbec.jpg

IMG_0410_zps0iqq1zy3.jpg

Thought this was a Kenwood Model 11, but was a different Kenwood I was not familiar with. 

IMG_0411_zpsvcra7wsl.jpg

Talked wit a nice gentleman that had a 1966 Pioneer Tube receiver for sale.  Also talked to this man with the Klipsch and  KLH Model 5 speakers for sale. Could not believe how many Dual 1229 and 1219 turntables there were.  

IMG_0419_zps6vn37s3e.jpg

Maybe next year I will load up the Traverse and thin out the collection a bit.

I can't believe you missed me! We were two or three tables up from the guy with the KLH-5's and the Klipsch. Also the guy that had the equipment in second pic that is from Indy was the one that bought my ADS's late in afternoon. Tall guy....really nice...he had those AR woofers that I got. I learned a lot being this was my first swap meet.

Yea his name is Bryan.  The A-1 woofer with the alnico magnet looked to be in excellent shape. The ceramic one had the wrong surround on it. I wonder if the guy with the HPM100's and SX1050 did any good? Glad he got your speakers.

The 3a woofer was in good shape...even with the stupid spliced surround. Bryan said he heard a noise in the woofer when playing it but I noticed the speaker tab that is riveted to cage had popped off. I am sure that is what he heard. It is a 1973 cone and looks really nice so I ordered the right foam today for it.

The guys I were with knew I liked the AR stuff and right after we got set up with the table and such, Phil comes running over and sets a pair of AR3 tweeters down and says I paid ten bucks for these...will you take them for twenty?...lol. I borrowed an ohm reader from seller next to us and they read fine so I handed him the cash. He sprinted off to find other treasures....and saw him carry over a very nice Pioneer quad receiver he got for fifty bucks and later seen him carrying at least two turntables....so yea...there were turntables there to be had. Phil also brought over a driver made from foam...and said they sound decent and had one at home to go with it.

Good group of guys and will be back down there next year.

12 hours ago, lakecat said:

As an experiment once, he told me he took five Radio Shack Minimus 7's and set them up in this room. He played them to several audiophiles in this setting and they refused to believe the sound came from those speakers!....lol....looking for hidden speakers and holes in walls and such.

Ha, ha, ha ... sounds like my kind of guy ...

Roger

Archived