Allison CD-7 Minitowers - Upgraded/Modified

rnathans00

Offered for sale in Washington, DC are the well-regarded Allison CD-7 Minitowers. In the middle of the CD line, the 7 is a floor-stander (27-1/2”H x 9-5/8”W x 9-5/8”D), so no stands are required. Allisons are designed to provide a large sound-field, so there’s no limited “sweet spot”. These however have been modified and upgraded from the originals.

Some time back I noticed in problem in one speaker which was traced to its tweeter, which was working but had wildly uneven frequency response. Since it’s hard to know what the true quality of a “working” Allison tweeter found, say, on eBay, is, I worked with a local speaker designer to remake my CD-7s with new tweeters and a modern crossover.

The original  tweeters were replaced with SB Acoustics SB29RDC tweeters. And in place of the original, simple (coil and two capacitors) crossover, a much more sophisticated crossover was designed . The parts to the crossover alone cost over $50. The woofers are Allison originals, and the surrounds are intact, if slightly tacky. The oiled walnut cabinets are also in good condition with a tiny veneer chip on one top front corner. The grills are originals, with small holes in the two fronts; the tops are better with minor flaws only along the edges. Very presentable.

Anyway, I’ve been selling some of my excess equipment, and have already sold three speaker pairs plus a center channel plus assorted electronics as I remake my A/V systems. This one is just next on the list. Asking $275 for the Allisons - about what standard Allisons go for without such modifications.. Will consider offers, but if I don’t get a fair price I’ll just give them to a sibling. Finding a shipping box this large won't be easy, so I'd prefer a local sale.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Archived