Anyone actually put big AR's sideways in a bookshelf? pics?

bassment142

Just wondering if anyone actually does have their big honkin 55lb ARs smushed between an old Copy of Moby Dick and a model ship.

Any pictures?

Are we talking about "built in" shelves that would be on either side of a fireplace in an old craftsman home?  I doubt any common built it yourself bookshelf you could buy today would be strong enough to hold them.

On 6/20/2016 at 1:16 PM, bassment142 said:

Just wondering if anyone actually does have their big honkin 55lb ARs smushed between an old Copy of Moby Dick and a model ship.

Any pictures?

Are we talking about "built in" shelves that would be on either side of a fireplace in an old craftsman home?  I doubt any common built it yourself bookshelf you could buy today would be strong enough to hold them.

Probably not many people actually mount their "classic" AR speakers horizontally on shelves anymore, but the speakers definitely sound better mounted that way.  For one thing, it eliminates the fairly audible "notch" in the mid-bass response caused by cancellation reflections of bass frequencies bouncing off the wall behind the speaker and joining, out-of-phase, the forward-firing bass frequencies.  This causes a "notch," or "suck out" of frequencies in the 200-300 Hz range.  

If you have one of the tower speakers such as the AR9 or AR90, AR9Ls, etc., the woofer is mounted close to the floor-wall intersection, and the notch is pretty much eliminated.  If the woofer in a bookshelf speaker has a low-enough crossover, say below 200 Hz, then the notch is a non-issue, but few bookshelf speakers have such a low crossover.  You can also plunk the speaker directly on the floor, but the sound gets pretty boomy and heavy when you do that.  Here is the way I had mine mounted at one time.  The sound was great.

AR-3a_Bookshelf-Mounted (03).jpg

• 1 month later...

I believe I saw them mounted horizontally on a bookshelf in the movie  The Thomas Crown Affair with Steve McQueen. You have to look carefully but AR 4s of some variety were briefly displayed in a scene at the main characters Beacon Hill home.  If you can take your eyes off the most luscious Faye Dunaway momentarily, you might actually spot the AR's.

1 hour ago, jimorf735 said:

I believe I saw them mounted horizontally on a bookshelf in the movie  The Thomas Crown Affair with Steve McQueen. You have to look carefully but AR 4s of some variety were briefly displayed in a scene at the main characters Beacon Hill home.  If you can take your eyes off the most luscious Faye Dunaway momentarily, you might actually spot the AR's.

Always loved that movie, and it has a great soundtrack!

• 2 years later...
On 8/8/2016 at 12:30 PM, Anthropologo said:

They do seem to sound better horizontally, but that's subjective - however, they are not nearly as tall with the Janzen's on top, which is a good thing.

Stereo Living Room.jpg

I use early 3a's horizontally sometimes with 1-30's.  Great sound. 

3a1-30.jpg

Archived