Sad news of our friend George (ToastedAlmond)

JKent

It is very sad to report the passing of CSP member and great guy, George Grand (aka ToastedAlmond).

Robert (ra.ra.) made note of it here: 

But I think George should be featured in a separate thread. Apparently our friends at AK knew first and there are many comments (8 pages so far and worth reading), and a link to the obit here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/r-i-p-george-grand-aka-toasted-almond.713396/

I met George a few years ago when he sold me a pair of AR-2ax's. I picked them up at his house and he showed me his converted garage "man cave" with a fantastic system built around some Carver Amazing loudspeakers. He had other nice speakers--I spied some AR-9s in his living room. Sadly, his hearing had been compromised by decades around jet airplanes, serving in the Air National Guard, but he still appreciated good music and good equipment.

A few years later I bought a pair of AR-3s from him, very cheap btw, and learned that he donated all of the money from equipment sales to a school for children with special needs.

Most recently I bought an AR receiver from him. He had a lot of other cool stuff for sale but I restrained myself.

In those few face-to-face meetings I found George to be a warm, modest man who shared our love of classic audio gear but had many more facets to his personality. I'm sorry I didn't get to know him better but he was a truly terrific man.

He will be missed.

Yes, thanks Kent, when I re-read that "for sale" thread and was reminded that you knew him, I was sort of hoping that at least you'd have a comment to make or a story to share. I didn't really have anything to add but did not mean to relegate this news of his life to the small print classified ads, so I appreciate your moving it to the front pages for more prominence. George sounds like a very interesting guy, and so many vinyl collectors were unfailingly pleased and satisfied conducting multiple transactions with him. It's good to hear your stories, thanks.

Toasted Almond. What a great online name, eh?  

I “met” George (Toasted Almond) about a dozen years ago when I joined the CSP community. He was pretty active with this forum back then and he and I quickly established a nice rapport based not only on Classic AR speakers, but also that we were both aviation aficionados.

The frequency of his contributions had dropped off precipitously in recent years, which always leads to speculation of some misfortune or failing health. I tend to think that most people retain their interest in this hobby and when we don’t hear much from a once-active contributor, it’s usually cause for concern.

You could tell from his posts that not only was George a knowledgeable classic speaker enthusiast, he also had a great Cheshire-cat-like sense of humor that came through his writing and a genuine down-to-earth warmth and compassion. We’ll miss him.

Steve F,

It is sad to see fellow member to pass away...  all the best to  George.

Kimmo

This is sad news about George Grand, "Toasted Almond."  I regret that I just now saw this topic.  George was an interesting, knowledgeable fellow audiophile and always very nice and polite in his postings on this site.  I didn't know him personally, but I think we all get to know each other more or less through the vicarious connection on this website, and George was always a great contributor to this AR site.

--Tom Tyson

Archived