Some restorations in the AR family

redpackman

That's a great looking collection - - it's so nice to see a singular family photo that shows the size variations. Thanks for sharing.

Several years ago when I started reading and contributing to audio forums (fora?), I began to occasionally clip and save photos and diagrams for future reference. The pic attached appealed to me, and the OP's collection in this current thread very much reminded me of this image I had previously saved. His collection (AK member Eunomanians) included AR-3a, AR-6, AR-4x and AR-7, and was part of a thread celebrating his recent acquisition of the long-sought-after AR-6's. The text of that thread still exists online, but I am glad I saved this pic because the images are no longer available.

AR 3:4:6:7 collection.jpg

cool!  I am diggin the grille cloth selection on the 3a's.  They all look well restored, but also old.  Good combo.

I agree ra.ra, that photo is memorable.  Hard to get that good of a shot with a window like that messing with the light.  At least I can't do that, which stinks because I have windows directly behind my speakers and shuter which seem to let just enough cracks of light through.

1 hour ago, DavidDru said:

... I agree ra.ra, that photo is memorable.  Hard to get that good of a shot with a window like that messing with the light.  At least I can't do that, which stinks because I have windows directly behind my speakers and shuter which seem to let just enough cracks of light through.

Sure you can, just need to even out the lighting a bit. Here you can see light coming from more windows to the left and the table lamp was added to brighten the corner. Any recent camera should be able to handle the window light without excessive flare.

Roger

To the OP (red): just a thought here, but the grilles on your AR-6's look like they could be excellent candidates for cleaning - - - you'd be surprised how much better these grilles might look after some careful attention to lighten them up. Many members have their own solutions for this, but here is one thread on this topic. 

Regarding the photo, high contrast backlighting can indeed be a problem with exposure control, but Roger is probably correct that there are multiple methods to tame these effects. Nonetheless, I suppose it was a challenging shot to compose for the photographer (full disclosure: even I tweaked my filed image a bit before posting it here), but what appealed to me most was the livable aesthetic in the space. A handsome room, a unique assemblage of art and furnishings, and evidence of a speaker collector's joy in continual tweaking with placement and display.      

While unsuccessfully trying to locate another pic from that thread, I stumbled on another saved image of an impressive collection of classic AR's that is shared below - - not sure where it came from. The speakers are beautiful, but I also like the grouping of die-cast Franklin Mint truck reproductions.

(Edit: am having trouble uploading simple jpeg file - - will try again later.)

Archived