AR 5 (Euro version)

lARrybody

I did not want to step on refried's current post about his recent AR5 score, but it definitely got me thinking about acquiring a set. I looked and  walked past a decent set last year at a fair price. This morning I was looking around craigslist and found these listed in Cincinnati. 

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ele/5606671879.html

I have seen the European version of 2ax speakers at a stereo shop here locally. I own the European version of AR7,s

These speakers have been restored, but not the way I would have gone about it. Any thoughts about these? They look nice, but one rheostat and one one lpad? Resisters on the front tweeter and mid range pins?  Also two different versions of woofers described? 

Nice, I would be knocking on his door right now.

The grain is fabulous and the woofers look like the early version with round dust caps. If you don't like the woofers I'll trade you a pair of alnicos with new Boston FF foams.

I don't have a problem mixing the Ohmite pot on the tweeter with an L-pad on the midrange. You can pull the pricey Ohmite pots and sell them for a decent price I'm sure and go with just L-pads. The Ohmites should have a cover to keep the stuffing from interfering with operation. Putting the parallel resistor for the L-pad across the midrange on the front is easier than inside the cabinet. Looks like the big caps may be Daytons.

AR-5.20160601.01.jpgAR-5.20160604.jpgAR-5.20160601.03.jpg

Roger

Ditto what owlsplace and ar_pro said. The seller has written a very knowledgeable CL ad, mentioning several particular characteristics. Even though I will never warm to that dark grille cloth, a pair of AR-5's in teak is a rare find.

Those are very nice and well worth $300, I really like the teak. I'm really enjoying mine, I haven't had a chance to open them up yet to see what's inside but have been listening to them everyday,

I spoke today with the owner, a very knowledgeable guy. I will be going down Tuesday afternoon to pick them up. Thanks for all the input. They will fit nicely into my collection. Oh and by the way, when we were discussing the original woofers and I mentioned I had posted about his speakers here at CSP he said "I got the matching original woofer from Tom Tyson".  

On 6/3/2016 at 5:22 PM, larrybody said:

I spoke today with the owner, a very knowledgeable guy. I will be going down Tuesday afternoon to pick them up. Thanks for all the input. They will fit nicely into my collection. Oh and by the way, when we were discussing the original woofers and I mentioned I had posted about his speakers here at CSP he said "I got the matching original woofer from Tom Tyson".  

Good for you ... I haven't seen any original woofers in two years looking -- not that I'm looking that hard. That is the first pair of teak 5's I've seen ... nice deal.

The owner definitely looked like he was up to speed on vintage speaker projects.

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

I have had these AR5's for a couple weeks now. They are every bit as nice as I could of imagined. The first two days I paired them with a Marantz 2270 and PL-570 turntable. They sounded wonderful.  Then they were put away till today when I got to AB them with some KLH model 5's, Two different versions of AR2ax's, and of course my AR3a's. I used two different receivers, SX-1250 and a SX-1010. Not really a fair comparison with the 3a's because of the different impedance.  They are very impressive. Settled with them on top of a 1969 set of AR 2ax's and both driven by a SX-1010. 

Here is my question. These have Ohmite RHS15RE Rheostats on the tweeters. The Mid-ranges have L-pads with resisters wired in parallel across the front terminals. On closer inspection these are 10 and 15 Ohm Mills 12 watt resisters. I could be mistaken, but wouldn't that give a value of 6 Ohms to the L-pad. Should that be 25 ohms?  If the two resisters were wired in series, then they would present a 25 ohm load. They do sound really nice to my ears. How important could this be? I may not be able to hear very high frequency's, but I still can differentiate middle ones. 

3 hours ago, larrybody said:

Here is my question. These have Ohmite RHS15RE Rheostats on the tweeters. The Mid-ranges have L-pads with resisters wired in parallel across the front terminals. On closer inspection these are 10 and 15 Ohm Mills 12 watt resisters. I could be mistaken, but wouldn't that give a value of 6 Ohms to the L-pad. Should that be 25 ohms?  If the two resisters were wired in series, then they would present a 25 ohm load. They do sound really nice to my ears. How important could this be? I may not be able to hear very high frequency's, but I still can differentiate middle ones. 

...chiming in here. :)  I'm guessing the person who installed the resistors mistakenly wired them in parallel instead of in series. 25 ohms in parallel with the driver would preserve the original crossover point, and make the action of the L-pad more like the original pot (or the Ohmmite control). Since they are on the surface of the cabinet you can experiment with them if you wish, and go with your preference.

Roy

Thanks. Exactly  what I thought. Since the original restorer told me he just stapled a piece of material over the existing Ohmite control to protect it from fiberglass particles, I will just order another set of RHS15RE Rheostats and make proper covers. The Mills resisters will go to another project.

I ordered a half dozen of the 15 ohm--25 watt Russian military pots off the auction since the Ohmites were so pricey. They look pretty decent but I haven't tried them yet. They are nicer than the HK pots that were around for awhile.

Roger

Archived