KLH Model Ten

ra.ra

Have never seen or heard of this KLH model - - am wondering if anyone is familiar with this speaker product? It appears to be a ported 10" two-way speaker, and I think it may have shown up in catalogs way back around 1962 (you can see early KLH logo on badge). Very unlike other KLH's of that era, and am very curious about this oddball.

KLH Model Ten.jpg

KLH Model Ten 2.jpg

I'm wondering if it didn't measure up. It only lasted a year or so, even with it
being promoted along with the rest of the line.

I've never read anything about it's raison d'être.

Thanks, JKent, that's probably the best blurb I've seen on this speaker and somehow missed it in my search. With such a positive review, one wonders why the design was abandoned after such a brief production run. Often seen with plywood side panels and attractive veneer (even korina was offered!), it appears impossible to get inside the cabinet without ruining the grille cloth. Hmmm, indeed a very curious and rare KLH model. 

KLH Model Ten x3.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I got a very nice pair of 10’s. They were put out in the street and my buddy picked them up for me. Neither of the high range drivers work. Bummer, cause I’ve seen a picture of the 10’s with an epoxied woofer, but also one screwed in. I’d hate to ruin that nice grill cloth to find out its epoxied underneath and I can’t access the capacitor through the front. The badges are on the back, but looking at ra ra’s pics it may be the owner moved them to the back. S/n is 8942 I think the other is close to that.

There’s a nice KLH ‘history’ thread at audiokarma that shows some 10’s with the white edge, these are all walnut.

2B0BD528-714C-4B3E-8D3E-C0C506AFD62D.jpeg

I was reading Larrybody’s thread on epoxied drivers in klh 6’s, and Glen’s advice stuck with me, after all these years it’s very likely the woofer surrounds will need resealing so I might as well cut the grill cloth to see if they are indeed epoxied or screwed. From there I would reseal the woofer surrounds either way. The nice thing about the KLH 10’s is they’re ported, so no extensive sealing required if I have to access through the back. Hopefully this is all moot though and they’re screwed in. 

7 hours ago, Markkb said:

I got a very nice pair of 10’s. They were put out in the street and my buddy picked them up for me.

Now THAT'S a buddy!

Welcome to the CSP

Make sure your pics are about 100KB. If they're too big that may be the problem. Looking forward to hearing/seeing more about these rare KLH speakers.

btw, the speakers Sergey shows are not KLH Model Tens, they're KLH Research Ten Series speakers. Nice speakers but they came much later in the KLH lineup, post Henry Kloss.

-Kent

Thanks jkent! I resized and it worked. These KLH 10’s are S/n 008987 and 008942. The high frequency disconnect is always interesting. 

Ahh, I just had a thought, there’s likely no need to reseal anyway since these are ported. Now I’m back to where I was!

There is a black cloth under the burlap, so I can’t see the driver. I tried probing with an awl, to see if I could tap on a metal frame, no luck,  though I was not too probing for fear of piercing something. 

IMG_3098.JPG

IMG_3100.JPG

IMG_3101.JPG

IMG_3102.JPG

Those look really nice! I was never a fan of the white frame look.

Unfortunately I've never worked on the Tens so I can't advise regarding epoxied woofer or how to remove the grille without damage.

Another thing I'm not a fan of is the 2-layer cloth system used by KLH. Seems to me the sheer black cloth behind the regular cloth (often boucle) may muffle the sound a bit. But your grilles look pristine so I agree you should not damage them.

The Tens are rare but maybe another member will know more about them and how to get inside.

-Kent

Archived