AR-58s -- the lastest of the bestest 12-inch bookshelf speakers

owlsplace

On 5/19/2016 at 4:19 AM, wilson said:

Watching with great interest as I also have some 58's in the queue.  I'm currently using mine unrestored and they do require some eq to tame the highs, but I'm guessing that the 91 crossovers will make them perfect.  Great speakers.

I haven't ordered any parts yet so I just used what was on hand -- maybe order later today. Currently planning on wiring the crossover externally until I am happy with the results.

The 100mfd cap bank was just an experiment since "ar_pro" convinced me to try hot-melt glue on film caps. I had reservations about it especially after accidentally dripping some on my hand -- nice blister there today. The original Callins NPE cap reads well on the meter but the 24mfd NPE was reading over 35. The 4mfd Red-cap lost it's lead from stress fatigue although it was probably still making contact before I popped it off the glue bedding.

The missed solder connection on the red banana plug lug may have been an issue -- probably not a lot of people would remove all that hot-melt to check a solder connection.

Looking at this drawing it appears they were suggesting that the AR-91 should be positioned three feet off the floor!

Also the comment about using 1KHz crossover frequency with an active equalizer. Not sure how you would be able to do that without some way to switch out the passive components. It could make for a fun project though as I have active equalizers on hand.

ar91xover-2.jpeg

Roger

On 5/19/2016 at 6:48 PM, owlsplace said:

badsolder.jpg

If the weather warms up around here I'll wire this 91 xover externally to one of the 58s' while waiting on other parts which may be awhile do to a bit of a set-back. I was reminded yesterday that the projects scheduled for this year were recapping old electronics rather than more speakers as the left channel went out on the preamp. It took out the 8/10 fuse on the 58 but not the fuses on the ADS'. Kent to the rescue as I finally was forced to install the SRC he sold me last year -- works well, though I'm not keen on a system that can only be turned on with a remote which is no longer available. (Kent, thanks for that new battery!)

Just for reference I priced caps for this project on Madisound: the setup in the photo uses Carli and surplus caps and costs $14; using just Carli's it would cost $52; using Solen's costs $71; using ClarityCap's costs $178; and using the lower priced Mundorf's costs $196 per speaker. Personally, rather than spend the big bucks for Mundorf's I would tri-amp with an active crossover and be done with it. Hmmm, not a bad idea since I believe I have everything on hand for that. Well, we'll try the 91 xovers first ;)

Roger

when I did my 58's, I used 4 10uf surplus caps for the 40uf, 4uf daytons + 2 surplus caps for the 24, an 8uf solen for the 8, and a 4 uf dayton for the 4uf, and a bennic 100uf NPE....those plus the binding posts, I had about $40 into the recap

13 hours ago, michiganpat said:

when I did my 58's, I used 4 10uf surplus caps for the 40uf, 4uf daytons + 2 surplus caps for the 24, an 8uf solen for the 8, and a 4 uf dayton for the 4uf, and a bennic 100uf NPE....those plus the binding posts, I had about $40 into the recap

I forget who makes the Dayton caps -- erse, or Bennic?

It was a bit of an eye/ear opener having replaced the preamp and allowing the system to run flat. It is sometimes easy to forget how many variables there are in sound reproduction. I will put an equalizer in the loop when I get a spare moment -- I think I need one with a built-in heuristic algorithm -- on second thought, I doubt I can afford that. 

Roger

Opened one of the 58s' and outboarded the AR-91 xover today.

P1010653.JPG

Dacron polyfill inside with an Orange County Speaker sticker on the magnet so that explains the nice foam replacement job. I don't know what is normal for this model. Didn't think the foam gasket was suitable for reuse so I cut one from an old sleeping pad -- a wee bit thick but it compresses nicely after a few minutes.

P1010654.JPG

The simple AR-58s crossover "in situ."

P1010655.JPG

On the bench, er, table, the 4 and 100 mfd caps were high out of spec as was the 1-ohm TRW resistor.

P1010656.JPG

Unicon caps as spec'd on the drawing.

Played with the switches on the new crossover while switching back and forth with the original speaker but gave up after a while as the recapped 91 crossover sounds so much better. I left the MID switch at -3db and cranked them up with the ADS'. I'll have to order some more caps and put some rheostats in the mid and tweeter circuits till I can dial in the sound that I want with the MID--HI switches set at 0 then order some fixed resistors.

They sound pretty good at the moment running flat, no-EQ, playing Honky Tonk at higher levels than my neighbors appreciate :)

Roger

Added: nice clean-open vocals on a Nana Mouskouri album ... like it!

Brass and woodwinds sound great, John Barry, Carlos Nakai, etc.

polyfil is typical in ADD and newer speakers...both of my ADD era 18's have polyfil, as did my 58S's, rock partners, and holographic imaging M5's

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'm torn ... backing up a bit, I had one crossover recapped with Carli's and Madisound surplus tens. Madisound sold out all their stock on those so I obfuscated for a bit and ordered some Mundorfs for the signal path, more on that later -- installed them in the other speaker along with the AR-91 crossover swap with Mundorf 2 ohm--20 watt resistors inline with the mid and fired them up using the orginal NPE caps in the impedance matching/filter circuitry.

No clear path at this point as I'm used to listening to them without any eq and they are starting to sound good -- too good perhaps as now it is obvious I need to upgrade the tweeters on my 5's.

I guess I'll have to hook up the equalizer and see what slopes I end up liking.

Oh, I can't tell the difference between the Carli/Surplus recapped speaker and the Mundorf/stock NPE speaker :o

Roger

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2016 at 8:45 PM, owlsplace said:

Oh, I can't tell the difference between the Carli/Surplus recapped speaker and the Mundorf/stock NPE speaker :o

Actually the Mundorfs sound more open on the top -- I will swap the crossovers to make sure it is not a spatial phenomenon or difference in drivers -- one advantage to outboarding the crossovers.

This is probably the last set of speakers I will be doing so I plan on enjoying every minute or minutia.

Roger

Archived