Eucalyptus veneer offered on AR3's..??????

lakecat

Talked with a gentleman in NY yesterday as I was ordering some drivers from him. He was a big AR lover and been around them for years. He told me he was working on a set of AR's for a client that was one of four ever made by AR....eucalyptus veneer AR3's. These came from a gentleman from Tower Records that ordered them with this special veneer. He told me AR offered this Eucalyptus veneer for only a month and a half or so in 1960 I think he said.

Of course I was doubtful but nice and asked if he could take a picture and send it to me as I was curious to see this veneer. And...he did. He is also looking for an ad he has that showed AR offering this veneer.

Anyone know of this offering?..... or is my leg being pulled a country mile?....lol

IMG_9816 (1).jpg

Eucalyptus AR-3, one of four sets, has to be the rarest of the rare. Wonder if he will volunteer the serial numbers.

Not quite as impressive, but I am planning a one-off Koa veneered AR-7 set.

Roger

I am planning a one-off Koa veneered AR-7 set.

I'll be interested to see that! I love my koa Cizeks. That veneer can't be easy to come by!

-Kent

9 hours ago, GD70 said:

I too would be interested in the serial numbers. Looks like the veneer was applied over the front frame, no visible seam line.

Mine are also 1960.

I think that the veneer would have to be done like that as I am sure AR wouldn't have stocked real eucalyptus for the 3/4" fronts to get the seam.

I am going to ask for pics of back and the ID papers on it to see what it says...and the serial numbers. One has to admit they are striking and different....and why I shared.

13 hours ago, Liangshan Marsh said:

Very interested in this discoverer , a rarest AR3s veneer . Looks like a very nicely lacquer finished on the wavy course of the grain Eucalyptus veneer ... Thanks lakecat for the rare PIX.

He did mention this veneer was originally done in a natural finish but that somewhere down the road...were refinished with this darker stain. 

Cool!

Tell him all the folks at CSP are excited about this revelation and need to know more before it disappears back into private holding.  Maybe if he thinks the owner is a cool dude, he could tell him we would love to learn more if he wouldn't mind.

Walking along eucalyptus trees can have an intoxicating aroma, but before this topic came up, I had never given much thought to the visual qualities of the wood used as a finish material. Based on these three random veneer images (figured or fiddleback eucalyptus), it appears that the AR-3 shown may indeed have veneer cut from a similar flitch. It would take a few more images to evaluate properly, but my first impression is that the addition of a dark color stain may not have been a wise decision, particularly after making such a rare special order.

eucalyptus veneer.jpg

My bet is that when it was stained darker, there wasn't much perspective or even consideration as to how rare they were. The owner simply thought a darker look would be a better fit for their application.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is it ''LAKECAT'',

The Eucalyptus veneer you were talking about in this thread ...just listing in the auction...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ar-3-speakers-/121991245422?hash=item1c673eae6e:g:FA4AAOSwcl1XPT9D

edited: new lowered price -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/ar-3-speakers-Lowered-Price-Must-Go-/121993933957?hash=item1c6767b485:g:FA4AAOSwcl1XPT9D

5-18-2016 11-06-36 PM.jpg

6 hours ago, Liangshan Marsh said:

Here is it ''LAKECAT'',

The Eucalyptus veneer you were talking about in this thread ...just listing in the auction...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ar-3-speakers-/121991245422?hash=item1c673eae6e:g:FA4AAOSwcl1XPT9D

5-18-2016 11-06-36 PM.jpg

Lol....I never heard back from him when I asked for pics and verification. I guess he thought I was gullible and would believe his lies. Oh well.... I gave him a chance to step up....and he didn't.

I am still ignorant about a lot of AR's history and why I brought this item here to discuss as I didn't even know Eucalyptus veneer was even being made....and he told me a good story. 

They are certainly different though. I will call him later and get on his case.

Middletown NY. That's about 25 miles from here. I'm tempted to go have a look.........

Wonder why the tale about Tower records and only 4 being made by AR.

They do look nice. He should have posted more than 4 pics when he's asking so much money.

The message received, bottom line around $900... ''These speakers have been re veneered with Australian eucalyptus a very exotic and expensive wood'' and looks like NEW. With that price  I may get it if It is still keeping original grille, AR badge, 3 logo and original driver...but not,

3 hours ago, JKent said:

Middletown NY. That's about 25 miles from here. I'm tempted to go have a look.........

Wonder why the tale about Tower records and only 4 being made by AR.

They do look nice. He should have posted more than 4 pics when he's asking so much money.

Yeah, not particularly good pics either. They do appear to be "lookers" though and I'm sure would attract comments if put on display.

Roger

Archived