AR 3a vs JBL L65 Jubal

Jubal are excellent speakers but just on the opposite side. Amazing with pop/rock or jazz/rock , good sensitivity, but unlistenable with classical music or natural instruments, not an accurate hi-fi speaker. I have also west coast high efficiency speakers, but I have it for historical reasons and I use it just for fun , while AR 3 are my main speakers , one of the most accurate hi-fi speaker ever heard, that ' s for sure. 

I heard them once many years ago when I was in my twenties at one of the "stereo stores" that were plentiful and friendly back then . Beachboys 'Pet Sounds' playing at a decibel level that almost drove me out of the listening room. No distortion whatsoever. Beachboys were in the room. They were out of my league price-wise, so I never pursued them any further. I have no clue as to how a full orchestra would be rendered on these. Obviously an unforgettable experience. 

On 5/3/2016 at 5:59 AM, Sonnar said:

Jubal are excellent speakers but just on the opposite side. Amazing with pop/rock or jazz/rock , good sensitivity, but unlistenable with classical music or natural instruments, not an accurate hi-fi speaker. I have also west coast high efficiency speakers, but I have it for historical reasons and I use it just for fun , while AR 3 are my main speakers , one of the most accurate hi-fi speaker ever heard, that ' s for sure. 

I agree with Sonnar. I heard a pair years ago in Columbus, Ohio at the home of an acquaintance.  He literally blasted us out of the house with volume playing the first Led Zeppelin album.  Not accurate but impressive.  Squawk and boom.

der 

2 hours ago, der said:

I agree with Sonnar. I heard a pair years ago in Columbus, Ohio at the home of an acquaintance.  He literally blasted us out of the house with volume playing the first Led Zeppelin album.  Not accurate but impressive.  Squawk and boom.

der 

Exactly the kind of speakers I'm looking for. I'm going to use my 3a's for critical listening at home and probably use the Jubal's in a practice space/studio that my band will be moving in to during the summer.

136A , 12" woofer , LE 5a cone midrange, 077 tweeter . Excellent loudspeakers, top-ranking quality, built like a tank, Alnico V magnets. But globally not an hi-fi accurate speaker for an experienced listener of real acoustic instruments. However, it could be useful as monitor for pop/rock recordings or listening. I use my Altec/JBL system to listen Dire Straits, Eagles, good old country-rock , and for some very old jazz recordings. 

Archived