KLH Model Fourteen B restoration pics

Lucky Pierre

Hi Pierre and welcome!

KLH made a couple of Model Fourteens. I've owned both and I think they were essentially the same except for shape. The Fourteens were flat (ish) and could be hung on a wall. The "B" version you have has the same dimensions in width and height as the Eleven-W, Twenty-One extension speaker and others that were used with compact systems but it's twice as deep. And while those other speakers were acoustic suspension designs the 14 and 14B were ported. The drivers are the same full-range 4" one used (singly) in the late Model Eight, Model Eleven (suitcase) and Eleven-W, Twenty-One radio etc.

Nice speakers with lots of sound! Oh, and another difference: Except for the Model 708 all of those variations on the Eleven-W were run flat out with no filter. The Fourteens, as you show, had filter networks. It would be a good idea to replace the caps.

Keep us posted!

-Kent

Can someone assist with replacement cap choice?  The cap in there says 400 MFD, 446 V.D.C.  There are two resistors labeled: (1) 24 Ω, 10% and (2) 12 Ω, 10 %.

I had one speaker hooked up to a Dynaco Mk III last night.  I can verify that one driver is acting as "woofer", and the other as "tweeter".

Thanks!

Any of those you list are fine. So are Dayton. Don't worry about the voltage--anything 100vdc or more is plenty. You could also use Erse PulseX or PEx from erseaudio.com or Carli or Bennic from Madisound. No need to spend a lot of money. Or...if you have a local electronics parts shop ask for a mylar 1.0 microfarad cap. Might be radial instead of axial but it will work. Could look like this:

s-l500.jpg

-Kent

I had one speaker hooked up to a Dynaco Mk III last night.  I can verify that one driver is acting as "woofer", and the other as "tweeter".

I don't think so. I believe the 2 4" drivers are wired in series and put in a bigger, ported box to give the speaker more "oomph." The "crossover" is, I believe, an LCR filter network.

KLH used two 3" drivers in series in the early Model Eight radio speaker. Later Eights had just one 4" driver--the same driver used in your Fourteens. The Model Twenty-One radio also used one 4" driver. FYI, that same driver was used as the mid-range in the excellent Five and Twelve speakers.

I just looked up your thread on AK (many of us are on both forums) and see you also scored a Twenty-Seven receiver. Nice find! I have one on my shelf, awaiting restoration.

-Kent

I would be inclined to agree with Kent that both drivers are probably intended to deliver similar frequencies, but then again, it's a bit unclear what all is going on with that crossover board - - there are two resistors and one cap, and is that a coil, too? What this idea has brought to mind is a speaker model from several years later - - AR's MST-1 (3-tweeters, all identical) - - where the side mounted tweeter has a small additional cap in order to perform differently from the front-facing tweeters. The MST, of course, is a rather unique design regarding dispersion and an entirely different speaker, but is it possible that the 1uF cap in this KLH is associated with only one of the two small identical drivers?

And here's a nice little ad from 1964 for the KLH Fourteen in both styles (S-slimline and B-bookshelf), including some high praise from Julian Hirsch.

KLH fourteen.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, a friend of mine has the KLH Fourteen and has requested that I renew the caps. He is some distance away and I just need to order the caps for him. Can anyone confirm the cap values for me please. From these pics I deduce that there is just the one cap at 1uF, is that right? Cheers...

Welcome Oztayls

I just went through my pictures and notes on the Fourteens and can't believe I didn't make note of the filter components but I'm pretty sure one 1uF is correct.

-Kent

On 2/6/2019 at 3:30 AM, JKent said:

Welcome Oztayls

I just went through my pictures and notes on the Fourteens and can't believe I didn't make note of the filter components but I'm pretty sure one 1uF is correct.

-Kent

Yes, you're correct, so thanks. I picked up the 1uF caps and when he dropped the speakers off to me, confirmed them to be 1uF. However, one of the speakers was buzzing. Removing the drivers I saw that one of the the fabric surrounds was coming loose, so the cone was off centre causing the coil to rub. I was able to tease it off and re-glue it, making sure it was centred. Replaced the foam sealant as well. All sorted and sounding great again!

Good news!

Those drivers are very common. They were used in some Model Eight radios, all Model Twenty-One radios, as well as the Models Five, Eleven, Twelve, Fourteen, Fourteen B, Fifteen, Nineteen, 708 and probably others.

So if you ever need to replace one, no problem.

Please post pictures.

• 7 months later...

In case anyone cares, the coil is 5mH and 1.8 ohms. I have a set of Fourteens, Fourteen B's and a set of Model 15 speakers which are Fourteen B's without the network. I pulled the network out of a Fourteen when I started the restoration. I also think the Fourteen is one of my favorite speakers. They're kind of like Bumblebees who shouldn't be able to fly. Fourteens shouldn't sound as good as they do.

The drivers look to be in parallel, refer to the crossover picture with the red and black

wires going to the drivers, there are jumpers in the rivets holding down the tabs for 

the connectors.

1 hour ago, Pete B said:

The drivers look to be in parallel, refer to the crossover picture with the red and black wires going to the drivers, there are jumpers in the rivets holding down the tabs for  the connectors.

I think that's correct. I was thrown off by the fact that the earlier Model Eight radio speaker used two 3" full range drivers, wired in series. I don't have pics of the 14s I worked on but that's how it looks in Peter's pics.

If you look at the 9th picture down it can be seen that the cap goes across the 2 lowest connections,

then one lead of the inductor is above, most likely the other inductor lead is also above on the other side.

In the 12th picture you can see the top resistor going across the driver terminals.

The 6th picture shows a wire running from the input terminal to the R, L anc C pins, then another 

wire on the other side also going to RLC and back up to the output positive terminal.  

It seems that the network is an RLC to the paired drivers with a resistor across them.

• 4 months later...

This is all very cool!

Thank you for all the info!

Two questions:

1. 1uf cap per cabinet, in 14S and 14B? I looked at the photos and it seemed like there was only one cap in the whole set up. 
like this: https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-1uf-400-vdc-audiophiler-mkp-audio-grade-capacitor--020-634

2. Should they surrounds be sealed similar to the woofers on the KLH 6s and KLH 5s?

thank you so much!

welcome ZS447

to answer your questions;

1. yes
  2. yes

If you look at the KLH Service Bulletin (I think it's #60) in our Library, it says all woofers and "Twelve point five" drivers should be sealed. The 4" driver is called a Twelve point five (I don't know why).

Kent

12 hours ago, ChrisM said:

If you can, it's a good idea to thin out RoyC's surround sealant for the 12.5's. If this isn't possible, put on just enough to cover. Less is more. Do not put any on the dust cap.

Good advice. Here's the bulletin http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/klh/other/klh_schematicsservice/klh_service_bulletin_60.pdf

The schematic I uploaded above is the one for the 14 (slimline) because it has the "compensated" jack. The 15's are identical to 14B's but didn't have the network because you were only supposed to hook them up to a KLH console which had the equalization built-in.

The network is basically a very broad mid-range notch or from a different point of view it boosts the treble and bass. The resistors act as part of the network AND bring the impedance back up to 8 ohms nominal.

The "less is more" also applies to the mids in your 5's.