Snell Type EIII and a Rolex.

Yitaro

Hello my fellow Snell enthusiast,

My adventure with the Snell started as a curiosity.  I was looking for an efficient speakers that would be a good pairing with my Line Magnetic integrated tube amp.  I was leaning toward an Audio Note Type E and auditioning was not possible.  Did some research and found out that Audio Note and Snell follow similar design.  Found a used Snell Type EIII for $200 and decided to give it a try.  For that price, I got nothing to lose.  Since I can't audition an Audio Note, I figure that Snell would give me an insight into what an Audio Note might sound like with my system.

It has been 8 months now and don't see myself buying an Audio Note to replace the Snell.  I just love the sound of this Snell Type EIII.  They are very smooth sounding speaker.  They are not the best for details, slam, or imaging, but what they do is letting me just enjoy the music.   I can listen to music for hours on end.

I'm so happy with my Snell that I decided to buy a Rolex GMT Master II BLNR with my Audio Note Speaker fund.

• 1 year later...

I bought a pair of Snell EIII's last December for $150.00  to try in my surround system. After buying them, listening to them and reading about them I hooked them up to my main system just for fun. It consists of a  CAL Audio Labs Icon II, Tara Labs tube preamp, Moscode 300 and Thiel 3,5's. They are not as accurate and don't recreate the sound stage the Thiel's do but I have not stopped smiling or listening to them since. They sound good with my Yamaha surround sound receiver but sound wonderful in my stereo. It is by far the best $150.00 I have ever spent on my stereo and as Larry Greenhill said in his review "this speaker has no right being this good!" I just had to say it somewhere and this seemed like an appropriate place. Every time time I listen to them I still find myself smiling.

Archived