Good fortune on some early AR3's....questions

lakecat

4 hours ago, genek said:

Get yourself some sacrificial lumber and practice, practice, practice before trying it on the real wood. It's a gorgeous finish, but a PITA to do.

I can imagine spending a month learning the French polishing technique ... not sure I can block out that much time for any one project these days ... i'm game however :)

Roger

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/11/2016 at 7:52 AM, ra.ra said:

Very nice, that's a gorgeous blonde speaker cabinet. Definitely birch, though, since AR did not offer maple as an option - - these two light hardwoods are very often virtually indistinguishable from each other. Those driversarrow-10x10.png look about as good as you'll ever findarrow-10x10.png, but I suspect the grille has been replaced due to light grille cloth and AR-3a badge. It looks great with all that vintage gear!

Thanks Ra.ra! as you said :'' since AR did not offer maple as an option''. So this blonde is definitive a lacquer birch finished. About the grille you are right, the original AR3s grill needed some glue repaired, while waiting for the tough up glue dries I borrow the  AR3a grill temporary uses during took the PIC.

Herearrow-10x10.pngis an other pair of AR3 that you may be interested inarrow-10x10.png....Lakecat.

Ohio State is really  the treasury of AR3s speakers..

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1967-AR3-Speakers-Sequential-Serial-Numbers-C47039-C47040-Project-/201565779068?hash=item2eee41b47c:g:TJYAAOSwubRXFtzC )

AR3lacquer walnut $550.jpgAR3lacquer walnut $625.jpg

4 hours ago, Liangshan Marsh said:

Herearrow-10x10.pngis an other pair of AR3 that you may be interested inarrow-10x10.png....Lakecat.

Ohio State is really  the treasury of AR3s speakers..

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1967-AR3-Speakers-Sequential-Serial-Numbers-C47039-C47040-Project-/201565779068?hash=item2eee41b47c:g:TJYAAOSwubRXFtzC )

AR3lacquer walnut $550.jpgAR3lacquer walnut $625.jpg

Hi....thanks for link....confused on it though. When I click on link, it says sold but lower one says relist but can't find that anywhere. It is a little high for me with no pics of drivers. One speaker looks really rough...and a tough fix......  but there does seem to be a few around here lately.

11 minutes ago, lakecat said:

Hi....thanks for link....confused on it though. When I click on link, it says sold but lower one says relist but can't find that anywhere. It is a little high for me with no pics of drivers. One speaker looks really rough...and a tough fix......  but there does seem to be a few around here lately.

Yup, yesterday the seller listed that pair for $550 make offer, It sold quickly after 30M' listed... surprised !!! They re-list today with higher price $625 make offer... and ended the listing  after 30-45M' posted... may be sold to someone offline..?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1967-AR3-Speakers-Sequential-Serial-Numbers-C47039-C47040-Project-/201565779068?hash=item2eee41b47c%3Ag%3ATJYAAOSwubRXFtzC&nma=true&si=DQqC8nugbfVXEtpWGlzbx9x4VP0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

8 hours ago, Liangshan Marsh said:

Yup, yesterday the seller listed that pair for $550 make offer, It sold quickly after 30M' listed... surprised !!! They re-list today with higher price $625 make offer... and ended the listing  after 30-45M' posted... may be sold to someone offline..?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1967-AR3-Speakers-Sequential-Serial-Numbers-C47039-C47040-Project-/201565779068?hash=item2eee41b47c%3Ag%3ATJYAAOSwubRXFtzC&nma=true&si=DQqC8nugbfVXEtpWGlzbx9x4VP0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I would imagine that is what happened. With the shape those were in, I would have passed at that price. With the water damage on the one speaker and not verifying what condition the drivers were in, that was a big gamble for someone. Again, thanks for sharing. Those were twenty-five minutes away from me too...:)

Finally got the time to strip these 3's and it is certainly cherry as Tom surmised. I am using a light cherry gel stain thinned a little to make it easier to apply. Adding a second tomorrow as I want first coat to dry twenty-four hours first....but second coat will even out some color differences on the face frames and the veneer. Looking beautiful though. I am going to spray lacquer semi-gloss for the finish.

• 2 weeks later...
On April 26, 2016 at 8:14 AM, lakecat said:

Finally got the time to strip these 3's and it is certainly cherry as Tom surmised. I am using a light cherry gel stain thinned a little to make it easier to apply. Adding a second tomorrow as I want first coat to dry twenty-four hours first....but second coat will even out some color differences on the face frames and the veneer. Looking beautiful though. I am going to spray lacquer semi-gloss for the finish.

I'd love to see some pics when you get a chance. Cab restoration is one of my favorite things to do and follow others projects.

Cheers, Glenn

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 7:31 PM, GD70 said:

I'd love to see some pics when you get a chance. Cab restoration is one of my favorite things to do and follow others projects.

Cheers, Glenn

I will get some pics up soon. Not much to report as I am waiting for warmer weather to get here. Can't wait to see these done. The cherry is beautiful.

• 2 months later...

Finally done!!!!

After eight coats of lacquer and lots of cussing...they are done....for me at least...lol. Lacquering is an art in itself and learned much from doing it. It is very unforgiving for sure....but it sure looks nice....and kept it original! I will wax them in a week. I like my version better than AR's as they used a spirit stain to even out the different colors in cherry. My one face front came out almost white so I did have to doctor that to get it so it wasn't so stark. I can see why they used the spirit stain but that does leave it slightly muddled in my opinion. I couldn't get a pic to show the gold thread in grill but in real life....they are beautiful to look at. They also sound truly magnificent with all new inside.

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3415.JPG

IMG_3416.JPG

22 minutes ago, JKent said:

Beautiful, lakecat. You earned your brisket on those! ;)

-Kent

1 hour ago, GD70 said:

Simply gorgeous! Inspirational for others achieve.

LOL!...Kent....I smoked one last weekend in fact....:) And thank you for the compliment...as well as you GD70. You both know the work it takes for these unique speakers. I truly enjoy bringing them back to their glory.

Archived