A very early pair of AR-2 speaker

Ronan

12 hours ago, samberger0357 said:

They haven't sold yet. Hopefully somebody from the forum can grab them. 

Yup Sam! It survived over the night. I think It may sold today and hopefully somebody from the forum can grab them as you said.

I have a pair of early AR 2 , 50 euros six years ago. Excellent bass, fast and clean, easy to drive and good sensitivity, ideal with some low power tubes amps, but very poor response in midrange and highs. Last Year I decided to update the speakers using a pair of Fostex FE83eN full range with a 10 microF cap, and now my AR 2 are very enjoyable speakers , I drive it with a Knight KA-25 integrated amp. 

image.jpeg

Thank You, but I missed the very rare AR 1 , and I' m still searching it. When I was a kid , around 1970 , I noticed a pair of mint AR 1W with Janszen dedicated electrostatic cells in a very beautiful hi-fi shop in the center of Rome. They are part of a private collection, then during the '90s the owner dies and the shop was closed. Who knows where those speakers are,  now. 

8 minutes ago, Sonnar said:

Thank You, but I missed the very rare AR 1 , and I' m still searching it. When I was a kid , around 1970 , I noticed a pair of mint AR 1W with Janszen dedicated electrostatic cells in a very beautiful hi-fi shop in the center of Rome. They are part of a private collection, then during the '90s the owner dies and the shop was closed. Who knows where those speakers are,  now. 

One right now in my backyard:unsure:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/5520396500.html

00E0E_8SnUCtkZHln_600x450 (1).jpg

It's everything that I can do not to buy it. I've reached the mountain already with my 3's, and as gorgeous as this is, it would be bought for possible mono use, and/or an investment. And I basically never buy anything audio related simply as an investment. 

And yet...

The "B" in the serial number represents the second model made by AR (as in A, B, C, D, E, etc,......B is the second letter of the alphabet). As you can see in the pics of backside, the cabinets panels are made from real plywood; hence, unfinished pine cabinets, not birch. Could be real nice, though.... B)

4 hours ago, DavidDru said:

Pair of AR2's just listed in my town.  $350.  Consecutive serial numbers.  Look light in color.  Too much?  B = birch?

AR2's on CList

I love the woofer in these, but the high end is pretty deficient.

IOW, yes, I think $350 is pretty far into "collector" territory, when
2a or 2ax pairs can still be had for the same or less.

I agree, 350 $ is too expensive for a speaker with obsolete mid-highs. How ever, with some little mods you can have an excellent speaker: I am very satisfied with Fostex cones , and the old 10" Alnico woofer is an excellent transducer with great sensitivity, and it goes deeper  than the 16" 416 8b housed in my Altecs ( AR 2 standing horizontally over Valencias ).  Now my AR 2 are similar to AR 2x, but sadly the furniture is in very bad conditions , a real pity because it' s finished in an unknown beautiful light blonde wood, but only on three sides. For those Who are interested in mods about tweeter, remember passive components are on the negative. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Archived