Technics SL-1015 Turntable

Came across an exciting opportunity to pick up a somewhat rare Technics turntable the other day.  It is the SP-15 table with EPA-501H arm, EPA-B500 mount on the SH-15B1 plinth combo.  The plinth is a very nice Rosewood.  The current cart is only a Shure M44-7 and will be upgraded.  Did not include the dustcover.

This professional table from 1981, was sold to consumers and radio stations.  It wasn't necessarily used at the stations for playing the music as much it was used in production rooms for under voice overs etc.  it weighs in at 50lbs/22.7 kilos. It is manual.  Has a lot of torque and ramps up to speed immediately then brakes similarly.  Specs are impressive.

I got it from a local Professional Broadcast Engineer at the local PBS radio stations.  He got it out of a station warehouse and refurbished it (mostly just dust and lubricant age).  

Thought I would share since it is a little off the beaten path.  My SL-1300 is next to it in the photos to help illustrate it is a big one.

0324161746_resized.jpg

0324161746a_resized.jpg

0324161747_resized.jpg

0324161747a_resized.jpg

Technics never held an allure for me, but that table is gorgeous. I would definitely have no problem owning that.

Looks like an original 44-7. Check the stylus under a microscope if possible, and if it's good hold onto it. Excellent cart. If you're looking for a great bargain in new carts, consider seriously the Shure M35X. Can be had for $40 at Amazon and is a seriously good cart at 5 times that price.  

It's a butte for sure.  I am going to have to step up my game and gain a better understanding of high end turntables and what makes them tick.  This table is worthy of expensive high compliance carts so I will need to rationalize just how far to take it.

• 1 year later...
On 3/27/2016 at 3:04 PM, DavidDru said:

It's a butte for sure.  I am going to have to step up my game and gain a better understanding of high end turntables and what makes them tick.  This table is worthy of expensive high compliance carts so I will need to rationalize just how far to take it.

That is a world class table, yesterday, today and tomorrow (no flies on the consumer SL1300 either, I own two)

The SP-10 and the SP-15 are two of the finest turntables EVER made - one of the reasons Abbey Road used and still does use them to this day as references and for critical listening and playback

I would strongly urge you to re-cap your new deck as well as the 1300

The 1300 is a servo design so the IC count is only one, maybe two if memory serves and not too terribly difficult in the (albeit extremely rare) event of a failure to source

But the SP-15 has some IC action going on that is all but impossible to service today in the event of a failure (well, service practically speaking)short of a donor unit or some VERY good luck hunting and scrounging as they are custom designs

Caps are cheap - I do all my Direct Drives using Panasonic FC series electrolytics and changed out all the small values with their stacked film types whenever possible - ups reliability and longevity even more, as well as the obvious benefit of reducing the "wet" count

That and a little oil and that table will serve you well for decades to come

If you make the mistake of reading to much internet noise about these masterpieces of Japanese (or anyone's) engineering you will find plenty of negative and critical comments regarding these tables, so for that very reason I advise against it

Those who promote such erroneous crap don't know what the hell they're talking about and when you do inevitably encounter their palaver, consider it just that - internet noise borne of ignorance and foolish snobbery (Japanese decks of all pedigrees have always suffered knocks and criticisms here in America to some extent) 

It is truly a fantastic deck

Congratulations

Archived