New AR2 Owner

Sumner

That chart is not 100% accurate. Close and a worthwhile effort, but not airtight. It's a reasonably valuable guide, but many dates and spec details (crossover specs, especially) are slightly off or incomplete. If I ever have the spare time (what a quaint notion that is!) or inclination, I will update it. Hat's off to whoever did this, however--it's an admirable undertaking.

The AR-2 and 2a overlapped for a time. The 2a was not a direct "replacement" to the 2, just like the 2ax was not a direct replacement to the 2x. The Classic era always had multiple 10" models in the lineup.

David--I got wind of the 4xa in 1973, so I would have been 19 when I said that to my Dad.

Steve F.

55 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Hat's off to whoever did this, however--it's an admirable undertaking.

Steve,

Member "dxho" is maintaining the chart. I sent him an update recently regarding a discrepancy on the 35T.

Looks like we are the same age except my first encounter with AR was in 1974.

Roger

Not quite sure but I think I see a 10 ohm rating on the back cover. That being said I think it should be 16 ohm. I have come across a couple AR replacement pots (non aetna pollack) and they look different with a louvered back side, not the sealed in your pic. Here is a pic of the Roy identified proper AR replacement pot.

different pot.jpg

My guess is that someone along the way replaced the original with an incorrect replacement.

were they both this style?

Darin has the original Claristat 10 ohm 4 watt pot being used as a rheostat cited in my earlier post in this thread. Look at the schematic diagram that Robert posted and you will see the 10 ohm spec and follow the previous link from the archives talking about this pot.

Roger

added: Well, here is a link to the whole thread which is a good read anyway for someone not familiar with the rationale for AR's design choice in using pots.You could use an A-P pot here with the higher wattage rating but you probably wouldn't notice any difference.

Nothing new or helpful here, but those tweeter controls are unfamiliar to me. Somehow I did not make the connection between Roger's posted thread (about Vern's AR-2's) and the hand-drawn schematic I posted, but evidently there have been multiple sightings of this 10 ohm control, and this thread makes one more. This may be a bit of a reach but, looking back at the OP's crossover photo, aside from this relatively unfamiliar control, the only thing that looked at all suspicious was the smooth-sided hardboard panel stapled to the cabinet interior. More typically, this is a very rough-sided panel with glue oozing from the perimeter.

This appears to be the 4-watt, 10-ohm control referenced in Vern's thread.  

clarostat 4w 10 ohm.jpg

On 3/29/2016 at 10:19 AM, Steve F said:

That chart is not 100% accurate. Close and a worthwhile effort, but not airtight. It's a reasonably valuable guide, but many dates and spec details (crossover specs, especially) are slightly off or incomplete. If I ever have the spare time (what a quaint notion that is!) or inclination, I will update it. Hat's off to whoever did this, however--it's an admirable undertaking.

The AR-2 and 2a overlapped for a time. The 2a was not a direct "replacement" to the 2, just like the 2ax was not a direct replacement to the 2x. The Classic era always had multiple 10" models in the lineup.

David--I got wind of the 4xa in 1973, so I would have been 19 when I said that to my Dad.

Steve F.

Thank you for the compliment.

All corrections gratefully accepted. Post 'em here or send them to me.

Welcome, and nice speakers!  The pictures of the refinished cabinet(s) look marvelous.  As you've learned you've come to the right place.  It's always amazing to read all of the interesting and useful comments with accompanying photos, diagrams, charts, you name it.  I always learn a lot reading these posts, these guys know their stuff.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:54 AM, owlsplace said:

Darin has the original Claristat 10 ohm 4 watt pot being used as a rheostat cited in my earlier post in this thread. Look at the schematic diagram that Robert posted and you will see the 10 ohm spec and follow the previous link from the archives talking about this pot.

Roger

Oops, I did not realize they used 10 ohm early on so my apologies. I did see Robert's hand drawn schematic and noted the 10 ohm reference as being incorrect.

Those rheostats sure look like a better quality component than the AP 16 ohms we are all accustomed to.

Roger, sadly I did not read the thread you referenced before responding, my bad!-_-

3 hours ago, stupidhead said:

Those rheostats sure look like a better quality component than the AP 16 ohms we are all accustomed to.

Except AR needed a higher power rating for later model speakers and the A/P's fit the engineering requirements in a small package size. I don't think anyone is making high-wattage, small form-factor pots these days.

Roger

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Sumner said:

I'd like to thank everyone for the help identifying these speakers and the help. Medical issues have come up and sadly I am going to have to sell the AR2s and pay some bills. :( 

Thanks again everyone!

Darin

Darin,

Don't let the medical community fleece you out of your family heirlooms. On the other hand, ARs seem to come and go, although here they mostly come and stay ;)

Roger

Archived